Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I define "easy" using a GUI to change it with user-friendly name like Windows' "Computer name"
    Then you're looking at the wrong OS. If editing one file is not easy enough, Linux has nothing but grief to offer you.

Comment

I'm pretty sure a lot of people must search on Internet to find where are these files located. I don't find this easy.
      This. It's annoying.
      I know Linux folder standards so I get around the basics (all config files are in /etc somewhere), but for most stuff it's annoying.

Plus the fact that you need to use command line for basic stuff, it's annoying too. I mean, I do use command line, ssh, whatever I administer servers and stuff so it's not like I don't know (and on a headless system it makes sense), but really, how about getting out of the 1980 on devices where there is an actual GUI?

Then the user should know that the file must be opened with a tex editor, not a wor processor like Libreoffice Writer.
      The user doubleclicks on the file and the right text editor is used. Not an issue.

I think it's too much for someone who doesn't have experience wit Linux.
      OpenSUSE has a GUI system for most of such things called YaST. It's kind of slow but does the job.

I migrated from Debian to OpenSUSE also because of that. I'm sick of having to track down text files and editing them manually to do basic system tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Then you're looking at the wrong OS. If editing one file is not easy enough, Linux has nothing but grief to offer you.
        Actually, some distros like OpenSUSE have a GUI for these tasks, and also Ubuntu is working towards a similar GUI tool (much dumber because they must reinvent the wheel and make the same mistakes OpenSUSE did a decade ago, again).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Actually, some distros like OpenSUSE have a GUI for these tasks, and also Ubuntu is working towards a similar GUI tool (much dumber because they must reinvent the wheel and make the same mistakes OpenSUSE did a decade ago, again).
          Yeah, I know. But the fact remains Linux is mostly for tinkerers. If you don't like editing files, you're not going to have an enjoyable experience.
          Sure, it can be user friendly. My wife has no issue opening up Firefox and doing her thing. But when you want to take care of the name in the domain and don't like editing files, Linux is not your best choice. Or maybe it is, but I'm stuck in my old ways?

Comment

Yeah, I know. But the fact remains Linux is mostly for tinkerers. If you don't like editing files, you're not going to have an enjoyable experience.
            Sure, it can be user friendly. My wife has no issue opening up Firefox and doing her thing. But when you want to take care of the name in the domain and don't like editing files, Linux is not your best choice. Or maybe it is, but I'm stuck in my old ways?
            Kinda, linux is mostly for servers or embedded (NOT tinkerers) so the best tools don't have a GUI but there are tools, and many distros supposedly "for newbies" are still dumb as a bag of bricks and didn't think to add something with a GUI (oh, hi Ubuntu).
            But editing files isn't the best nor only way since a quite a bit.

(ignoring for a moment SUSE/OpenSUSE that has a GUI you can use to set most basic stuff and quite a bit not-so-basic stuff too, also with ncurses-based interface to use on a server)

For example in most distros with systemd you have "hostnamectl" that allows you to change the hostname from CLI/terminal, and also changes the hostname without rebooting and shows useful info if polled.

if you are using network manager you will have nmcli which is the terminal user interface for it (yes it can set hostnames from CLI but not from GUI, thanks Obama)

There is also nmtui (network manager terminal user interface) that is again a tool that can be invoked from command line but shows a ncurses-based graphical interface (=it looks like an old BIOS but it is graphical enough) https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-r...ame-command/#2

RHEL docs for example only talk about using these tools, they don't say "huh go edit a text file and then reboot" like many guides for newbs you find around. https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ost_Names.html

Comment

Believe me, I know
              I'm trying to use it for almost 10 years and I'm still using Windows 95% of the time.
              But still I don't think I'm the only one who thinks like this, when Linux has about 1% user share.
              While editing a file is easy for me, I don't like that I lose time looking for it on a path of unintuitive name directories
              And I'm pretty sure almost all of my friends can't do it.
              I don't understand why the DE is consuming all those MB of RAM and can't offer me a simple windows where I can set this.
              In Windows I can change this with 2 clicks.

Comment

Believe me, I know
                I'm trying to use it for almost 10 years and I'm still using Windows 95% of the time.
                But still I don't think I'm the only one who thinks like this, when Linux has about 1% user share.
                While editing a file is easy for me, I don't like that I lose time looking for it on a path of unintuitive name directories
                And I'm pretty sure almost all of my friends can't do it.
                I don't understand why the DE is consuming all those MB of RAM and can't offer me a simple windows where I can set this.
                In Windows I can change this with 2 clicks.
                I'm not going to disagree with you, but you're looking at Linux and expecting Windows or OSX. That's not happening. Linux is strong mainly on servers and many of those don't have a GUI at all. Linux is strong on mobiles, but those have custom and often proprietary GUIs.

If you don't like to snoop around and tinker, Linux is not for you.
                If /etc/hostname is "a path of unintuitive name directories", Linux is not for you.

And like starshipeleven pointed out, there are distributions that pack a ton of graphical applications for almost anything (e.g. Ubuntu or openSuse), but chances are there is still the odd file that needs to be edited by hand.

PS I doubt you can change the host name on any OS in two clicks, as the operation kind of requires at least some typing

Comment

Working...
                X