Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

Phoronix: Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

One of the most discussed items this week on the Fedora developers' mailing list is in regards to changing the hostname on Fedora 26 and future versions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not ask users, seriously? One of the #1 issues with Anaconda is lack of configuration options.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Why not ask users, seriously? One of the #1 issues with Anaconda is lack of configuration options.
      does it really matter what the hostname is? as long as it works who cares. stop ya whining , AFAIK i do believe Anaconda is changing again for f26, how? im not to sure. ask AdamW or someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

does it really matter what the hostname is? as long as it works who cares. stop ya whining , AFAIK i do believe Anaconda is changing again for f26, how? im not to sure. ask AdamW or someone else.
        Wow, you're one confused chap. Obviously it DOES matter what the hostname is, as it's causing issue enough the distro is having to change the default. Then you go and get yourself upset over your own rhetoric.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

I thought the whole discussion was started precisely because it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Wow, you're one confused chap. Obviously it DOES matter what the hostname is, as it's causing issue enough the distro is having to change the default. Then you go and get yourself upset over your own rhetoric.
            am i upset? no, i dont have tissues beside me, this forum isnt worth getting upset over, let alone you.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              actually Anaconda allows you to change the hostname, so it's not an Anaconda's missing option.
              the solution to this specific problem could be make this option mandatory for the user

Comment

How about suggesting a random name, but allow us to change it?

Comment

I have mine named:
                  Desktop1
                  Desktop2
                  Laptop1
                  Phone1

I had them previously named by OS but I soon realized that is not smart since I'm dual-booting on some and it's better to have a name that it's the same in every OS booted.
                  Of course I'm talking mostly about Windows, Linux and Android devs don't think this should be a easy thing for the user to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I have mine named:
                    Desktop1
                    Desktop2
                    Laptop1
                    Phone1

I had them previously named by OS but I soon realized that is not smart since I'm dual-booting on some and it's better to have a name that it's the same in every OS booted.
                    Of course I'm talking mostly about Windows, Linux and Android devs don't think this should be a easy thing for the user to do.
                    It depends on how you define "easy". Android is the obvious oddity here, but on Linux you usually get to pick your host names during install. And if you want to change it later, you edit /etc/hostname. I can't imagine and easier way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X