Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

    Phoronix: Fedora Looks At Changing The Default Hostname For F26 & Beyond

    One of the most discussed items this week on the Fedora developers' mailing list is in regards to changing the hostname on Fedora 26 and future versions...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ame-Discussion

  • #2
    Why not ask users, seriously? One of the #1 issues with Anaconda is lack of configuration options.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Why not ask users, seriously? One of the #1 issues with Anaconda is lack of configuration options.
      does it really matter what the hostname is? as long as it works who cares. stop ya whining , AFAIK i do believe Anaconda is changing again for f26, how? im not to sure. ask AdamW or someone else.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Anvil View Post

        does it really matter what the hostname is? as long as it works who cares. stop ya whining , AFAIK i do believe Anaconda is changing again for f26, how? im not to sure. ask AdamW or someone else.
        Wow, you're one confused chap. Obviously it DOES matter what the hostname is, as it's causing issue enough the distro is having to change the default. Then you go and get yourself upset over your own rhetoric.
        Hi

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Anvil View Post

          does it really matter what the hostname is? as long as it works who cares. stop ya whining , AFAIK i do believe Anaconda is changing again for f26, how? im not to sure. ask AdamW or someone else.
          I thought the whole discussion was started precisely because it doesn't work.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

            Wow, you're one confused chap. Obviously it DOES matter what the hostname is, as it's causing issue enough the distro is having to change the default. Then you go and get yourself upset over your own rhetoric.
            am i upset? no, i dont have tissues beside me, this forum isnt worth getting upset over, let alone you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Why not ask users, seriously? One of the #1 issues with Anaconda is lack of configuration options.
              actually Anaconda allows you to change the hostname, so it's not an Anaconda's missing option.
              the solution to this specific problem could be make this option mandatory for the user

              Comment


              • #8
                How about suggesting a random name, but allow us to change it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have mine named:
                  Desktop1
                  Desktop2
                  Laptop1
                  Phone1

                  I had them previously named by OS but I soon realized that is not smart since I'm dual-booting on some and it's better to have a name that it's the same in every OS booted.
                  Of course I'm talking mostly about Windows, Linux and Android devs don't think this should be a easy thing for the user to do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I have mine named:
                    Desktop1
                    Desktop2
                    Laptop1
                    Phone1

                    I had them previously named by OS but I soon realized that is not smart since I'm dual-booting on some and it's better to have a name that it's the same in every OS booted.
                    Of course I'm talking mostly about Windows, Linux and Android devs don't think this should be a easy thing for the user to do.
                    It depends on how you define "easy". Android is the obvious oddity here, but on Linux you usually get to pick your host names during install. And if you want to change it later, you edit /etc/hostname. I can't imagine and easier way to do it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X