Fedora 25 Is Quite Possibly My Most Favorite Release Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    Just out of curiosity what extensions do you use? I've wanted to get more into Gnome, but but it feels a bit foreign to me.
    To install extensions in GNOME, you simply need to go there: https://extensions.gnome.org/ and select the extensions you'd like to install (it's magically linked to GNOME thanks to a pre-installed extension in the browsers, you just need to allow the extension when entering the website).

I don't have a lot of extensions personally:
    Last edited by Creak; 10 November 2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

There are actually some intentional, automatic fallbacks from Wayland to X11. The two I know about are:

1) If you use the proprietary NVIDIA driver, we should fall back to X automatically (I believe)
      2) If you have a hybrid graphics laptop with outputs (i.e. DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort / etc ports) connected to more than one adapter, we fall back to X automatically so all the outputs will work

Does either of those sound like your case?
      Thank you for your reply and the same to you BillT. I use nouveau BUT I do have hybrid graphics but only use my laptop monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
        Thank you for your reply and the same to you BillT. I use nouveau BUT I do have hybrid graphics but only use my laptop monitor.
        This code doesn't care which 'outputs' (i.e. connectors) actually have monitors *attached*, it only cares about which outputs are driven by which graphics adapters. The reason is simple: you might decide to plug a monitor into any of the outputs at any time - we can't just assume that you're only using the ones that have monitors connected on startup. We have to do our best to make it possible for you to use any of the outputs. So we do the X fallback if more than one adapter looks like it has outputs connected to it, regardless of whether they're currently in use or not.

Unfortunately there isn't (at least yet) any way to override this and force use of Wayland, if you know you really want to use Wayland and don't care about the outputs you can't use. It might be possible to allow that in future, but for now we prioritized trying to make sure people can use their outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

To install extensions in GNOME, you simply need to go there: https://extensions.gnome.org/ and select the extensions you'd like to install (it's magically linked to GNOME thanks to a pre-installed extension in the browsers, you just need to allow the extension when entering the website).
          You can now get extensions via Gnome Software starting version 3.22

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

Everything just feels hidden away, best case I can give you is creating a new file or a folder in Gnome Files. I had to google how to do it lol. Every sane desktop in 2016 has a right-click cntext menu but gnome Nope, fuck that.

I am also not a fan of the blowout taskbar.
            Put something in ~/Templates

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

You can now get extensions via Gnome Software starting version 3.22
              IMO they should have had something like that in a early version. Another problem with their extensions is the lack of good documentation for the extension APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by tjwhaynes View Post

In what way does GNOME feel "dumbed down"? I use Fedora 24 with GNOME plus seven extensions (one of which I wrote) and it feels fast, responsive and most importantly to me, it stays out of my way.
                In that you need seven extensions to do what should be part of the base system, for example.

My work environment consists of seven desktops, with a dozen application windows spread across them. In KDE, the kwin lets me set that up, so all I have to do is open the apps at startup, and all the windows position themselves. I'm immediate ready to work. On GNOME, I used to have to code wmcntrl and xdotool scripts to accomplish the same thing. It's archaic.

Comment

Working...
                X