Debian 9 "Stretch" Hits Transition Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    There is a good job for dungeon. Instead writes shit to Internet 24/7/365.
    101% troll you are

Comment

It is not luck when Oibaf ppa is working in Debian testing Xfce.
      Yes it is luck, you have luck that working... even two Ubuntu versions of oibaf ppa packages are incompatible, let alone with Debian

When ubuntu is made from debian, compatibility does exists.
      It does not exist, as system is different. By using someone else distro PPA you might hit bugs that does not exist neither in Ubuntu nor in Debian... those bugs are only yours bugs

Comment

Yep, then only solution is to use over year old hardware and software like dungeon does.
        And now suddenly year old hardware is a problem

You should install Ubuntu and use PPA, that is correct mission for you

Comment

I'm not too happy about the recent changes that came to Testing.

gcc-6 now defaults to -fpie -fPIE for all compilations. While this is necessary for ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) to fully work and thereby to increase security, do I think they went overboard by enabling this directly within the compiler and they should have instead put it into the distro's default CFLAGS at the very least.

So now everything, from kernel, to libraries, to binaries, to whatever a user compiles gets compiled as position independent code. Even things such as glxgears, /bin/true, xclock or mahjongg are now a little bit saver from hacks. Not that hackers haven't already found ways around ASLR - they have.

The bad thing about all this is that it makes code run slower by 3%-5% usually. Not to mention that some code now won't compile such as the 4.8.x kernels and one needs to modify the Makefiles and disable it with -fno-pie whenever it causes problems.

TL;DR: distro-wide performance regression incoming, sacrificial offerings are being made to appease the Gods of Security, absolute addressing has reached expiration date.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Release is planned with 4.10 kernel
            Actually, I think that the kernel for Debian 9 will be 4.9, since it's a LTS kernel. Here, from the maintainer:

Comment

Just add these lines to kernel Makefile, after line 656
              ifneq ($(CONFIG_FRAME_WARN),0).....:

# force no-pie for distro compilers that enable pie by default
              KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(call cc-option, -fno-pie)
              KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(call cc-option, -no-pie)
              KBUILD_AFLAGS += $(call cc-option, -fno-pie)

I have seen only speed and stability increase with drm-next-4.10-wip kernel ,OIbaf ppa Mesa and wine-staging games.
              No need. I no longer use Debian's compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                Actually, I think that the kernel for Debian 9 will be 4.9, since it's a LTS kernel. Here, from the maintainer:
                https://lists.debian.org/debian-kern.../msg00099.html
                Yeah, plan can be changed during development of course . Ben of course would prefer someone else to maintain it at first, since he is busy with other kernels, upstream and all others wtihin Debian.

Even GKH wasn't sure totaly when announcing LTS plan, so probably depends what he pick up... otherwise if Canonical pick up 4.10 that is possibility too, etc...

Comment

Working...
                X