Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    You want that testing period in sid.
    Nope Sid is for those who don't won't to wait . Testing is for those who like to wait a bit, default delay for testing is 10 days, if not security or if not some transition... then you will wait less or more than that.

Comment

In testing you can use packages from sid and experimental.
      Wrong, you can't always do that.

To use sid only is unstable and you need to reinstall whole system time to time.
      Wrong, i had old machine running Sid for nearly 10 years without any reinstallation... current one i installed 3 years ago, so it is basically one install per machine lifetime

Use Debian testing, a custom kernel and Oibaf ppa.
      Wrong, using other distro ppa's is totaly wrong

Using testing is the best way to use Debian.
      Fair your choice, but not for me

Comment

Oibaf ppa xenial is current Debian testing compatible. Ubuntu xenial lts is made from Debian testing.
        Ubuntu's PPA targets Ubuntu and compatible distros only, so if you want to use someone's ppa you should use Ubuntu or some derivate of Ubuntu. There is no binary compatibility there with Debian, you might only run that by pure luck

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Ubuntu's PPA targets Ubuntu and compatible distros only, so if you want to use someone's ppa you should use Ubuntu or some derivate of Ubuntu. There is no binary compatibility there with Debian, you might only run that by pure luck
          Wasn't there some plan from the past Debian project leads to make something like PPA for Debian? What came out of that? I feel like quite a few useful fast updating package sets are missing. For instance: Mesa-git.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Wasn't there some plan from the past Debian project leads to make something like PPA for Debian? What came out of that? I feel like quite a few useful fast updating package sets are missing. For instance: Mesa-git.
            Yeah, there was a talk but you need spare machines and Debian does not really have that much as it has so many architectures to support already and there is not really who like to finance all that

Also meanwhile Suse came by with OBS, so now people can use that to build Debian packages too:

Create and Distribute Software Packages for all Major Linux Distributions with all the Tools to Work Together!

Comment

You are using very old mesa
              No, you are just a troll I use whatever i want mesa of any tree i want, as i usually compile development software of projects i am interested in

Comment

Debian is going to decommission PowerPC builds. So may be those can be reused for PPA style repos.

Comment

Ah those will still be builded, powerpc is just removed from release blocker architecture but not from archive... so nothing is actually removed from build system

Comment

Really, if Debian introduce anything like PPA it will be again for Debian developers only, not for users I don't know anybody who like to donate good machines to throw it away for nothing useful... only companies can do that

Comment

I wonder if this is related to them rushing out the position independent code GCC 6 compiler flag change (without so much as waiting for a minor version release) which now cannot even build the mainline kernel? They should have waited for the required patch to get upstream as well, as building the Linux kernel is kinda an important thing... oh well, that's testing for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X