Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6

Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 6 has been released as the final alpha build for Intrepid Ibex. This release ships with the latest GNOME 2.24 and Linux 2.6.27 bits along with X Server 1.5.0. Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 6 also supports Samba 3.2 with clustered file server support, encrypted network transport, IPv6 support, and better integration with recent versions of Microsoft Windows clients and servers. Another package addition to Ubuntu is the pam-auth-update-tool, which is a management interface for PAM authentication on both desktops and servers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well at least the kernel is patched now, so you can try it with Virtualbox without noreplace-paravirt. But it does not boot for me via PXE anymore. Maybe network-manager is conflicting somehow now.

Comment

I'm still having trouble with wireless on it and I DO know what I'm doing. I have filed a bug report but no response yet. It would be terrible to release with this bug. I can't see any reason why it would only affect me.

Comment

In the "Interesting Improvements In GNOME 2.24" article there was a new instant messenging client called "Empathy". Why can't I find it in the 8.10 Alpha?

Comment

Originally posted by Chol View Post
          In the "Interesting Improvements In GNOME 2.24" article there was a new instant messenging client called "Empathy". Why can't I find it in the 8.10 Alpha?
          It's available, but it's not installed by default. Ubuntu chose to wait until its performance is improved before making it the default IM client and replace Pidgin. Install empathy in Synaptic if you want to try it out.

Comment

Well tested on real hardware you see still the flickering/dcc problems with RV410 cards and with nv the xorg logfile did not show any error but there was no picture shown. Installing nvidia binary drivers with my script helped. Next thing is that U does not ship java by default and the java plugin in the standard repositories is definitely not working. Not even for

Comment

Java plugin from repository works fine here on the page you linked.

Comment

Which one did you install? The one from multiverse?

Comment

Brand new install from a fresh download of the i386 .iso. Haven't monkeyed around with sources. Using synaptic I loaded:

ubuntu-restricted-extras

which includes the java 7 rel 6 (or is it Java 6 rel 7?) as part of the metapackage. Beyond that, I have no idea where it came from.

Comment

Thats the standard sun java plugin (sun-java6-plugin) but thats multiverse, usually without official security update support. Thats definitely not the plugin from the default repository.

Comment

Working...
                    X