Early Fedora 26 Features To Talk About: PHP 7.1, OpenSSL 1.1 & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Fedora 26 Features To Talk About: PHP 7.1, OpenSSL 1.1 & More

Phoronix: Early Fedora 26 Features To Talk About: PHP 7.1, OpenSSL 1.1 & More

While Fedora 25 isn't even being released until mid-November, with now being past the change completion deadline for F25 and Rawhide continuing to move along, early Fedora 26 features are beginning to be talked about...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't understand current non rolling distros.
    i know that with Arch and similar a low level system change can break all the distro, but Fedora or Ubuntu (unless you use external repositories) don't even update non system applications!
    You get the distro as a whole with all the packages in it.
    I remember having to wait a semester release of Ubuntu just to have a new version of Firefox. Come on.

​​​​​​Back-porting in my opinion can be even more dangerous than living in a bleeding edge rolling, cause you try to shove something meant to work with a new context in something old and not designed for that.

I think the best solution would be a stable distro released and thoroughly tested coming with a limited set of core elements and libraries. All the other apps and elements should live in repertories and updated independently on the system. Flatpack or similar.
    ​​​
    Not dissimilar to what happens in android or iOS

Comment

Fedora is not Ubuntu though. Firefox is always updated to the latest version, no need to wait for the next distro version. Same applies to the kernel and many other packages. Personally, as a user and developer, I enjoy the whole fedora process. I used to use gentoo (and loved it), but it needed me to maintain the system much more than I do with fedora. Of course everyone has different needs and views.

Comment

The PHP update is not as simple as it sounds. Unless things have changed the SWIG wrapper generator for PHP is stuck on PHP 5. That means that every script language plugin that uses SWIG (which is a lot of them) can't support PHP 7.

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
          meanwhile my fedora says 24 although it was initially 13 (i think) and then updated with distro upgrade. if i wanted more rolling i would go with rawhide

I remember having to wait a semester release of Ubuntu just to have a new version of Firefox. Come on.
          this is exactly why there is now so much work on sandboxing apps

Comment

i know that with Arch and similar a low level system change can break all the distro, but Fedora or Ubuntu (unless you use external repositories) don't even update non system applications!
            This isn't true for Fedora. Fedora updates to newer releases of major packages pretty routinely every in released versions. There is very little to no backporting involved in Fedora updates. It is nowhere as conservative as Ubuntu. Also there is COPR repositories.

Comment

This is false. Fedora's upgrade policy allows for applications to be updated as long as they don't introduce regressions and this is done fairly liberally. Ubuntu updates far fewer applications (most are in universe which isn't officially supported anyway) but they do upgrade Firefox as it is both a leaf package and very important from a security standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                I used to use gentoo (and loved it), but it needed me to maintain the system much more than I do with fedora. Of course everyone has different needs and views.
                What sort of maintenance did you need? I'm considering switching my computers/servers over to Gentoo in the future should I ever get bored of Arch.

Comment

I remember having to wait a semester release of Ubuntu just to have a new version of Firefox. Come on.​​
                  Firefox usually gets updates though.
                  Sometimes it can take some time though...

Comment

I remember having to wait a semester release of Ubuntu just to have a new version of Firefox.
                    what load of bullshit. current fedora 24 firefox is 49, released three weeks ago

Comment

Working...
                    X