Trying Out The Experimental Unity 8 Session On Ubuntu 16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bazen View Post
    ... I mean Gnome doesn't even have Wayland implemented.
    Gnome already has Wayland protocol implemented long time ago with some unresolved bugs . Fedora has login screen using GDM Wayland by default since 21 and recently set Gnome Wayland session as default for 25 release.

Comment

They should just drop the standard Ubuntu, rename Ubuntu Gnome to Ubuntu, and keep Unity and Mir only for the mobile. Very simple.

Comment

Looks like the guys over at OMG Ubuntu was able to get more out of their test than Michael. Full review plus a video demo can be found here.

The Unity 8 desktop is now available to try out in the latest Ubuntu 16.10 developer images and in this post we go hands on it with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Looks like the guys over at OMG Ubuntu was able to get more out of their test than Michael. Full review plus a video demo can be found here.

The Unity 8 desktop is now available to try out in the latest Ubuntu 16.10 developer images and in this post we go hands on it with it.

I think it's worth noting that they did it on a VM as opposed to actual hardware. That it doesn't like actual hardware this much really shows that their goal hasn't been desktop

Comment

My initial thought upon spotting the second screenshot on the first page:

"That's not Yakkety Yak. That's Fuckety Fuck!"

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              They should just drop the standard Ubuntu, rename Ubuntu Gnome to Ubuntu, and keep Unity and Mir only for the mobile. Very simple.
              I like Unity far more than Gnome. So... no thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                They should just drop the standard Ubuntu, rename Kubuntu to Ubuntu, and keep Unity and Mir only for the mobile. Very simple.
                fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  I think it's great that they're trying to take on Android and iPhone. But I think it's insanely optimistic to think they can succeed where all others have failed.
                  They have auto-failed mostly because of bad timing tho. Android was inane garbage at the time the iPhone came out (as if the iPhone was much better, but anyway) but it was there and all companies that wanted to follow the trail of Apple had a OS they could use.

Now the ecosystem is mature and no matter how technically good something is, it can't compete with the ecosystem, so it auto-fails.
                  Same as Windows on PC, anyway.

Only chances Canonical has is to pull an Apple maneuver, that is making another niche for those that "think more different", but I somewhat doubt they can pull this off.

Comment

I'll just point out that this is a review of a pre-release development version on its first day of a pre-release shakedown. If you're going to pre-judge the final quality of a product by how it looks in development, you're revealing more about the flaws in your own character than any flaw in the software.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
                      Yeah, Plasma 5.8 on Wayland is in much better shape. I've already tried testing it and it was much more usable than this Unity/Mir thing... And Plasma 5.9 will probably fix most of the issues Wayland session still has.
                      That's pretty optimistic. I've been playing with Wayland on Plasma for some time and, while it's getting more usable, I doubt it'll be ready for prime time come 5.9. I did notice about a 15 fps jump in dota though!

Comment

Working...
                      X