Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 Doesn't Change Much With Performance, Clear Linux Still Leads In Most Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unapproved

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

I don't know but I recompile all the software on my main system with -Ofast -march=native and I don't remember having a weird crash or something like this. -O3 may have been crashy two decades ago but nowadays it works really well.
      Stop spreading the FUD and try it yourself. Many games use -O3 because the maximum speed is good. Many programs work and many programs don't give a crap if the floats are computed a bit differently. -O3 should be totally safe and bug reports should be made if some basic software doing integer computation fails.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Stop spreading the FUD and try it yourself. Many games use -O3 because the maximum speed is good. Many programs work and many programs don't give a crap if the floats are computed a bit differently. -O3 should be totally safe and bug reports should be made if some basic software doing integer computation fails.
        building dev-scheme/guile-2.0.12-r1 fails for me with `-march=native -Ofast -pipe`.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

building dev-scheme/guile-2.0.12-r1 fails for me with `-march=native -Ofast -pipe`.
          Still spreading FUD eh? Would help if you didnt use Ofast you know. The discussion was about O3.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Still spreading FUD eh? Would help if you didnt use Ofast you know. The discussion was about O3.
            FWIW in Clear Linux we have a per package attribute that marks the package "performance sensitive" "size sensitive' or "normal", and 3 different sets of CFLAGS are used between these based on this attribute.

these map largely to O3 / Os / O2 but also some other more minor flags like LTO (for performance sensitive)

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Ofast implies O3. I can try again with just O3 but i amguessing the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

FWIW in Clear Linux we have a per package attribute that marks the package "performance sensitive" "size sensitive' or "normal", and 3 different sets of CFLAGS are used between these based on this attribute.

these map largely to O3 / Os / O2 but also some other more minor flags like LTO (for performance sensitive)
                Could this be contributed to gentoo?

Comment

Working...
                X