Red Hat Is Looking To Ensure More Laptops Play Nicely With Fedora/RHEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Looking To Ensure More Laptops Play Nicely With Fedora/RHEL

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Looking To Ensure More Laptops Play Nicely With Fedora/RHEL

Red Hat is looking to hire two individuals for testing of laptops and tracking down any shortcomings in their support as it pertains to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They might want to cooperate with Dell's team that handles the Dell XPS "Sputnik" developer laptop.
    Maybe also with System76.

Comment

Does the job include free beer and sausage like in the photo? Where do I apply?

Comment

This is great news, I feel like the enterprise focused distros have all concentrated on fixed (i.e. desktop) workstation hardware support, but its clear the corporate trend in recent years has been towards mobile workstations. There's plenty of beefy "near-workstation" class portable computers these days. Strong support for those, with all their features and integrated peripherals will go a long way. The trend towards mobile computing has been well underway for many years in the consumer space, and the corporate world is following.

If only we could get things like ECC memory, RAID 1 mirrored drives, and FirePRO/Quadro graphics in a laptop, for a reasonable price, the only thing we'd need a desktop for any more is large multi-socket workstations.

Comment

It might sound great to be loaned nice hardware to see how well it works with Linux, but my experience with getting Linux running on some hardware suggests it can be a long frustrating experience, with many variables that cause odd interactions that are difficult to track down when there's a rare crash that is not reproducible.

​​​​

Comment

It's a hardware testing job for someone with a software engineering background. They want someone who can look at error messages/debug info/etc. and come up with solutions for the engineering teams. If you have no experience debugging software or programming, it probably isn't a job you'd be hired for.

Comment

Working...
            X