Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubdos
    replied
    "Windows Subsystem for Linux.", shouldn't that be "Linux Subsystem for Windows."? Or am I thinking weirdly now?

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Now we also have .NET Core on Linux!
    Now if we only could get the full .NET Framework on Linux (well there is Mono)... and PowerShell on Linux!
    What does Powershell have over Bash?

And honestly, I quite like that GNU/Linux didn't use .net. I Happen to work quite much with C#, and I don't think it worth it. Bad debugging experience (watchpoints not supported by design, plus even official Microsoft debugger in studio missing many features of plain old gdb), awful GUI Framework (starting with native bugs: Ctrl+BS doesn't delete a word, scroll doesn't work even within a window, unless you don't forget to make a code for that; and ending with Mono ones, like that Mono crashes, or NumericUpDown.Value occasionally returns zero, when it isn't), bigger binary sizes.

I do understand though both that C# easier to learn than C++ (and not because of syntax, but mainly because of bigger number of "wtf moments", when something doesn't work, and you don't know why), but let's be more literate. There's Rust, making memory management so easier, there's Haskell with GC (which, though, have own obstacles, but eve just knowing it improves coding style so much!).

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Now we also have .NET Core on Linux!
    Now if we only could get the full .NET Framework on Linux (well there is Mono)... and PowerShell on Linux!

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    How about running steam Linux games on Win10?
    You has no Hardware Acceleration in your X-Server on WSL.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    but with WSL overhead I wouldn't expect it to outperform native.
    There is no real overhead (exept for the Filesystem Stuff). WSL is only a Subsystem like Win32.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    How about running steam Linux games on Win10?
    Considering that there isn't any 3D acceleration with this, I doubt that would be useful and the games would probably crash and burn before even rendering at 2 FPS.

However, why focus on bringing Linux apps into Windows when you can focus on bringing Windows 10 apps and interesting features straight into bare metal Linux?

I've shown this before but specialized virtualization paired with some handcrafted scripts can be a powerful combination and gives Microsoft a backseat position and Linux the front seat, where things ought to be:

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It shows what you want it to show. More often than not, when something runs better with a translation layer than without, it means the translation layer is not doing everything it should (e.g. properly sync disk writes, support all video draw calls).
    That said, yay for a proper CLI in Windows.
    Everything it should do is a proper support for API, and it does that, otherwise app wouldn't run. Improper sync disk writes would hurt themselves, so obviously they wouldn't do that.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Overall, it shows that GNU/Linux got quite a room for optimizations. Running faster with API translation than natively — even a tiny bit — is a shame.
    It shows what you want it to show. More often than not, when something runs better with a translation layer than without, it means the translation layer is not doing everything it should (e.g. properly sync disk writes, support all video draw calls).
    That said, yay for a proper CLI in Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Guys... This isn't virtualized anything, so other than the filesystem results... all of the results are as should be expected. Basically Windows like BSD has a pluggable ABI system of which Win32 is one of it's plugins, they implemented the Linux Kernel ABI and made it so that when dealing with that ABI the filesystem looks different to the running programs. It's possible that the redirection is what's causing the speed issues, or it could be that NTFS is just that bad in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Overall, it shows that GNU/Linux got quite a room for optimizations. Running faster with API translation than natively — even a tiny bit — is a shame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X