Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 vs. Ubuntu Bash On Windows 10 Anniversary Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    How about running steam Linux games on Win10?
    You has no Hardware Acceleration in your X-Server on WSL.

Comment

Now we also have .NET Core on Linux!
      Now if we only could get the full .NET Framework on Linux (well there is Mono)... and PowerShell on Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Now we also have .NET Core on Linux!
        Now if we only could get the full .NET Framework on Linux (well there is Mono)... and PowerShell on Linux!
        What does Powershell have over Bash?

And honestly, I quite like that GNU/Linux didn't use .net. I Happen to work quite much with C#, and I don't think it worth it. Bad debugging experience (watchpoints not supported by design, plus even official Microsoft debugger in studio missing many features of plain old gdb), awful GUI Framework (starting with native bugs: Ctrl+BS doesn't delete a word, scroll doesn't work even within a window, unless you don't forget to make a code for that; and ending with Mono ones, like that Mono crashes, or NumericUpDown.Value occasionally returns zero, when it isn't), bigger binary sizes.

I do understand though both that C# easier to learn than C++ (and not because of syntax, but mainly because of bigger number of "wtf moments", when something doesn't work, and you don't know why), but let's be more literate. There's Rust, making memory management so easier, there's Haskell with GC (which, though, have own obstacles, but eve just knowing it improves coding style so much!).

Comment

"Windows Subsystem for Linux.", shouldn't that be "Linux Subsystem for Windows."? Or am I thinking weirdly now?

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
            "Windows Subsystem for Linux.", shouldn't that be "Linux Subsystem for Windows."? Or am I thinking weirdly now?
            Technically, Linux is running on top of Windows, making Windows the lower (sub) level. But hey, what's in a name?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Technically, Linux is running on top of Windows, making Windows the lower (sub) level. But hey, what's in a name?
              Fancy thing is, no Linux code is running at all there, making it basically GNU for Windows, or even UNIX/POSIX for Windows... But hey, what's in a name!?

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
                is more ubuntu running in windows nt but ok

Comment

once bash on windows will run as fast as on linux, it will make things very interesting. Many devs wont need to have a linux partition just for this, and that will be great for their productivity

Comment

Does the shell still run on top of the clunky Windows command prompt with its lack of keyboard shortcuts and transient command history?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                      once bash on windows will run as fast as on linux, it will make things very interesting. Many devs wont need to have a linux partition just for this, and that will be great for their productivity
                      Well, we've already had Cygwin (mandatory whenever I had to develop on Windows), but maybe this will be cleaner...

Comment

Working...
                      X