Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FESCo Approves Latest Round Of Fedora 25 Features

Phoronix: FESCo Approves Latest Round Of Fedora 25 Features

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has approved nearly all of the recently proposed features for the upcoming Fedora 25 Linux release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- KillUserProcess=yes is gonna cause to many problems IMO

Comment

I realize that controversial headlines drive page views, but FESCo *conditionally* approved KillUserProcesses if and only if certain steps are taken to make the transition transparent to most users. (The full details are available at https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1600).

tl:dr KillUserProcesses will be implemented when it's ready, not before.

Comment

why do i get the feeling systemd is becoming bloated. , i guess its not like i cant Disable it. lets see how wonderfull it is during alpha/beta testing . im sure there's bound to be enough complaints

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          why do i get the feeling systemd is becoming bloated.
          Because you never had to deal with the lack of functionality of other init systems in your day job.

Comment

I suppose if it's one of those things where you're gonna have to take a bullet eventually, you might as well just fire and take the bullet..... The real question is though, why do they need to shoot themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I suppose if it's one of those things where you're gonna have to take a bullet eventually, you might as well just fire and take the bullet..... The real question is though, why do they need to shoot themselves?
              Because it's better than hitting their family jewels with a stick, repeatedly, like it was working with older init systems, and because pretty much none of the people complaining about how systemd is bad are actually capable of making something better.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Because it's better than hitting their family jewels with a stick, repeatedly, like it was working with older init systems, and because pretty much none of the people complaining about how systemd is bad are actually capable of making something better.
                That's simple to explain. Anything that I (or someone else like me) would want to build would end up looking so much like openrc that I'm better off using openrc.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  That's simple to explain. Anything that I (or someone else like me) would want to build would end up looking so much like openrc that I'm better off using openrc.
                  Tangential to the question, would most of the systemd haters be capable of making something better than systemd?

"better" defined as "not a sysvinit clone sharing 90% of its pityfalls, nor a thin layer over it like openrc".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Tangential to the question, would most of the systemd haters be capable of making something better than systemd?

"better" defined as "not a sysvinit clone sharing 90% of its pityfalls, nor a thin layer over it like openrc".
                    Better imo is defined as decades of functioning perfectly, with the thinnest layer possible, like openrc.

EDIT: I don't understand why people bitch about boot time scripting. It's one of the most awesome capabilities. I wouldn't trade it for all the fanboyism in the world. You can take your overly complicated hardcoded binary garbage and shove it. I can script easily enough what I need.
                    Last edited by duby229; 17 July 2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X