Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Makes Caffe Deep Learning 10% Faster; Also Discovers XFWM4 Compositor Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

I assume you weren't following many forum threads lately? His reply was sarcastic.
    Yeah, missed that one :/

Comment

Glad to hear this was found. XFCE's compositor isn't very heavy, but regardless nice catch.

Comment

Originally posted by fakenmc View Post

Yeah, missed that one :/
        He is being sarcastic about the used debianxfce, a couple months ago there were a post about xfce 4.12 I guess, and the comments were like a 3rd global war of xfce against the DE world

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

He is being sarcastic about the used debianxfce, a couple months ago there were a post about xfce 4.12 I guess, and the comments were like a 3rd global war of xfce against the DE world
          Yeah I remember, but puleglot 's post didn't sound much like sarcasm. The fact is, XFCE, like any other software, has bugs, contrary to what the XFCE high priest propaganda says. Maybe I was (am) being sarcastic and someone missed it? Whatever. Anyway, great work from the Intel OSTC team.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

XFWM4 has similar functionality, but the bug so far is that the heuristics to detect when something is fullscreen is not triggering for the cases we looked at (the various PTS gaming/graphics tests). For now we've disabled compositing but we're still poking at seeing if we can correct the heuristics
            Basically, it has the functionality to disable compositing in full screen, it just doesn't have the functionality to figure out when the full screen mode is being used.
            I've never figured out why Xfce went for compositing to begin with. If it's supposed to be lightweight, just forget about compositing. Iirc, it doesn't do animations anyway so its windows are always rectangles, not using compositing can't hurt it that much.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I've never figured out why Xfce went for compositing to begin with. If it's supposed to be lightweight, just forget about compositing. Iirc, it doesn't do animations anyway so its windows are always rectangles, not using compositing can't hurt it that much.
              It's not designed to be lightweight so hard as LXDE that has it as a primary objective.

afaik, compositing allows it to have shadows and trasparency, also smoother window movements.

I know that for KDE users compositing = "wobbly windows" (you say "its windows are always rectangles"..... hmmm?), but it's not the main feature of compositing.

Although also afaik XFCE compositor has always been very very meh, and the only way to get good compositing was switching to Compton or even Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's not designed to be lightweight so hard as LXDE that has it as a primary objective.

afaik, compositing allows it to have shadows and trasparency, also smoother window movements.

I know that for KDE users compositing = "wobbly windows" (you say "its windows are always rectangles"..... hmmm?), but it's not the main feature of compositing.

Although also afaik XFCE compositor has always been very very meh, and the only way to get good compositing was switching to Compton or even Compiz.
                Yeah, well, compositing is used to stack things on top of each other which leads me to think about transparent widows and/or windows that don't need to be rectangles (this used to be a thing on Windows for a while). Like you say, it's entirely possible compositing is used mostly for other things.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Like you say, it's entirely possible compositing is used mostly for other things.
                  Well, I did use xfce in the past, and shadows, trasparency and smoother window movements were the main differences between compositor on/off.

Comment

I was hoping I could give Clear Linux a try but build 9340 (marked as "latest") is still missing packages a lot of packages and swupd update/install/search doesn't work because of it. I hope they will fix this soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X