The State Of Debian's Paid Long Term Support Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is not consistent with my own tests. I only saw around 10 fps difference (closed/open, of course not with windows) for most cards I tried. But I did test gaming cards, not HTPC cards like that.
    Well, you have different mesa drivers.. all these might differ Neither is radeon(R100) like r200, neither are r300, r600 and radeonsi like any of these... any of these drivers are its own story

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Well, you have different mesa drivers.. all these might differ Neither is radeon(R100) like r200, neither are r300, r600 and radeonsi like any of these... any of these drivers are its own story
      What part of "I did test gaming cards" you didn't read? the x1300 is a HTPC card.

Comment

What part of "I did test gaming cards" you didn't read? the x1300 is a HTPC card.
        I remember times when no big GPU was recommended to use with mesa, because there is no perf... and now we are in times when only bigs seems recommended, and no one care about HTPC card perf

Real driver should scale fine, from Temash all to the Fury X
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I remember times when no big GPU was recommended to use with mesa, because there is no perf... and now we are in times when only bigs seems recommended, and no one care about HTPC card perf
          I have no idea of what you are trying to say here.
          I just said that I did try out some older gaming cards when there was the drop of proprietary driver, and the performance was within 10 fps, so for me it was not such a big deal as it is for you that seem to have tested games on a card that wasn't supposed to be used for gaming anyway.

HTPC cards only need to work at all and have working hardware acceleration for decoding.

Real driver should scale fine, from Temash all to the Fury X
          Real driver does not, especially vs more recent open source driver.

Also in the past there was a breakeven point where most people would prefer the stability and ease of use of the open driver to the slightly better perf of the closed one at the cost of more instability and other annoyances of closed drivers.

Comment

Real driver does not, especially vs more recent open source driver.
            Yeah when we talking about recentity, i guess you compile that claim in comparison with recent games too

I played and compared The Talos Principle with Bonaire and that is much faster with fglrx... sort of 40% faster then mesa

To not say mention that game menu in that game occasionally does lockup GPU with mesa... i will be more on bugzilla then here if i continue

edit: And not just with Bonaire card, but with Kaveri and Kabini APUs Sort of somewhere 25% diff somewhere 40% diff, but lockup everywhere
            Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              in my knowelege R600 opensource driver was never on the same level than catalyst.
              Maybe only with 6850/70 cards sort of here and there, as that is what shader compiler developer had at the time But 6950 go down and earlier and s/lower probably even more.

With scalability of fglrx, it is uncomparable.

Comment

Yeah when we talking about recentity, i guess you compile that claim in comparison with recent games too
                No, still talking of the same old cards in old legacy support that was dropped. Can a HD3xxx run newer games? I doubt it.

I played and compared The Talos Principle with Bonaire and ...
                ... I don't give a fuck, since Bonaire is HD7xxx and we were talking of much older cards.

edit: And not just with Bonaire card, but with Kaveri and Kabini APUs
                still not givjng a fuck, as they are not the cards we were talking about. Might as well pull up NVIDIA.

Comment

Can a HD3xxx run newer games? I doubt it.
                  It can, majority of steam games for linux are small unity3d engine, lately some wants GL3, most wants GL2, some are fine even with GL1, blah blah ... even Talos Principle should work, it needs exactly those as minimum

... I don't give a fuck, since Bonaire is HD7xxx and we were talking of much older cards.
                  Well, I said my results what i did couple years ago with r200 (did i ḿentioned that i even lost most of the time playing Angry Birds on r200 ), that is even much much older then HDs... but that HD3xxx i don't have, sorry Currently i have only these GCN 1.1 chips.

Yeah
                  Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

It can, majority of steam games for linux are small unity3d engine, lately some wants GL3, most wants GL2, some are fine even with GL1, blah blah ... even Talos Principle should work, it needs exactly those as minimum
                    Ah come on I meant newer games, not indie stuff I can play (much better) on my intel HD4000 too. (of course I'm not talking of Talos Principle)

Comment

Ah come on I meant newer games, not indie stuff I can play (much better) on my intel HD4000 too. (of course I'm not talking of Talos Principle)
                      Nope, that can't play GL4 games of course, because hardware does not support that, blah. blah... sort of what Sandy Bridge iGPUs can do with games, those can do too

Can you play Uncharted 4 on PC?
                      Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X