X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    I remember times when no big GPU was recommended to use with mesa, because there is no perf... and now we are in times when only bigs seems recommended, and no one care about HTPC card perf
    I have no idea of what you are trying to say here.
    I just said that I did try out some older gaming cards when there was the drop of proprietary driver, and the performance was within 10 fps, so for me it was not such a big deal as it is for you that seem to have tested games on a card that wasn't supposed to be used for gaming anyway.

HTPC cards only need to work at all and have working hardware acceleration for decoding.

Real driver should scale fine, from Temash all to the Fury X
    Real driver does not, especially vs more recent open source driver.

Also in the past there was a breakeven point where most people would prefer the stability and ease of use of the open driver to the slightly better perf of the closed one at the cost of more instability and other annoyances of closed drivers.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    What part of "I did test gaming cards" you didn't read? the x1300 is a HTPC card.
    I remember times when no big GPU was recommended to use with mesa, because there is no perf... and now we are in times when only bigs seems recommended, and no one care about HTPC card perf

Real driver should scale fine, from Temash all to the Fury X
    Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Well, you have different mesa drivers.. all these might differ Neither is radeon(R100) like r200, neither are r300, r600 and radeonsi like any of these... any of these drivers are its own story
    What part of "I did test gaming cards" you didn't read? the x1300 is a HTPC card.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    This is not consistent with my own tests. I only saw around 10 fps difference (closed/open, of course not with windows) for most cards I tried. But I did test gaming cards, not HTPC cards like that.
    Well, you have different mesa drivers.. all these might differ Neither is radeon(R100) like r200, neither are r300, r600 and radeonsi like any of these... any of these drivers are its own story

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

Yes I am old enough and very Serious, Sam I even fixed some 3 or 5 year old leftover bugs for it, even lighting does not worked properly on it
    Good, that's kind of the point, or at least part of the point. But you what you just did was take an architecture released 15 years ago and equate it with the entire platform. I also have a Geforce 440mx, but in no possible way should comparisons made against it equate to nVidia's current situation. Come on Please, get real.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    I did test of one oldtimer ATi 9200 2-3 years ago with R200 mesa driver against flgrx (latest from year 2006., installed Debian etch i think for it) so compared it against WIndows XP opengl perf... with openarena, urbanterror, etc...

And got somehing like in range of 60 fps on XP, 55 fps on fglrx Etch and 35 fps on Debian Sid with current mesa at the time
    This is not consistent with my own tests. I only saw around 10 fps difference (closed/open, of course not with windows) for most cards I tried. But I did test gaming cards, not HTPC cards like that.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Really? Seriously? Come on!
    Yes I am old enough and very Serious, Sam I even fixed in the process some 3 or 5 year old leftover bugs for it, even lighting does not worked properly on it
    Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

I did test of one oldtimer ATi 9200 2-3 years ago with R200 mesa driver against flgrx (latest from year 2006., installed Debian etch i think for it) so compared it against WIndows XP opengl perf... with openarena, urbanterror, etc...

And got somehing like in range of 60 fps on XP, 55 fps on fglrx Etch and 35 fps on Debian Sid with current mesa at the time
    Really? Seriously? Come on!

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    ... the opensource driver had near feature-parity (more than sufficient for legacy support) and more or less same perf on all affected cards. We are talking of legacy support cards, not the newest ones, there it lagged behind for a while.

Most people I know was NOT using closed driver for old cards since ages before as it was annoying to mantain and would not give anything better.

Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Well, AMD releasing Catalyst and now developing AMDGPU-PRO go against your formula

I don't insist on Catalyst, i prefer to have both... so that is what amdgpu and amdgpu-pro is. Without pro opengl is lacking still both by features and performance, somewhere mesa is on par but somewhere still bad... to not mention opencl, vulkan, etc...
    I have a prediction to make, when AMD open sources their OpenCL 2.0+ and Vulkan implementations, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Mesa is already matching or beating AMD's OpenGL.

I agree that amdgpu-pro is a good idea, but only because there are still people like you in this world who live in a blissful ocean of ignorance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X