No announcement yet.

Libertine: Allowing X11 Debian Packages To Run On The Next-Gen Ubuntu Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libertine: Allowing X11 Debian Packages To Run On The Next-Gen Ubuntu Desktop

Phoronix: Libertine: Allowing X11 Debian Packages To Run On The Next-Gen Ubuntu Desktop

Stephen Webb of Canonical has written about the company's latest project, Libertine. Libertine is their new project for allowing legacy X11-focused Debian packages to run on their next-gen converged desktop with Unity 8, Mir, and Snap packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would rather have .deb and Wayland instead of Mir and Snap.

Snap packages are huge, it pulls in a gigabyte of redundant dependencies.

Comment

That is a good idea for legacy apps the day Mir launch.
      But what about Wayland specific apps? Do they run natively on Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, but I do believe containers are the future.... But the way Canonical is going about getting there is to disenfranchise the userbase that got them this far.... So dumb.

Comment

I'm half certain most of the differences between mir and wayland will be handled by middleware like sdl, gtk, or qt.

Comment

Snap does not have the benefit of runtimes. However, the wasted size is not in the gigabyte. That was just the Snap Libreoffice having debug information as well. This was intentionally done to help QA. Flatpak is still way better due to having and encouraging runtimes, by default support for additional data (debug info and so on), NO restrictive CLA which unlike any other CLA gives unique advantage to Canonical over any other contributor, NO requirement to use a proprietary 'store', etc.

Comment

On topic: Firefox still assumes X11 when running on Linux-like operating systems. Or in other words: despite being ported to GTK+3.x, it still needs XWayland instead of Wayland. If it does not run under Wayland, then also Mir is problematic. A webbrowser not really part of your operating system seems a bit odd.

Comment

Snap packages minus debug compare to size of Flatpak, Libreoffice is same size as Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

Snap does not have the benefit of runtimes. However, the wasted size is not in the gigabyte. That was just the Snap Libreoffice having debug information as well. This was intentionally done to help QA. Flatpak is still way better due to having and encouraging runtimes, by default support for additional data (debug info and so on), NO restrictive CLA which unlike any other CLA gives unique advantage to Canonical over any other contributor, NO requirement to use a proprietary 'store', etc.
                  http://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/06/2...wn-snap-store/

Snaps dont need a proprietary store, you can create your own.

Snapd has also been adopted in main Arch repository and Fedora COPR repository.

Libertine is also coming to Ubuntu phones, that will enable users to run X applications on the phone, I am looking forward to that
                  Last edited by Cerberus; 05 July 2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

AFAIC debs/rpms are still the best solution for distro packages whereas Snaps and Flatpaks are a fine solution for 3rd party, cross-distro packages.

Why is it they are so obsessed with using the same <driving tool> for all <fasteners>???

Comment

Working...
                    X