Ubuntu Developers Discuss Again About Dropping Support For 32-bit x86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

If only repeating the same lie over and over would make it true.
    I could be 50lb lighter and married with children.

As it is, neither am I 50lb lighter or married with children, nor is Debian a rolling release distro.
    He is talking about Debian testing so this may be true.
    Anyway debianxfce wrote so many fake facts on this forum that nobody here have tested debian xfce to confirm...

Comment

It´s understandable that the distribution makers want to ditch 32-bit x86 if there are fewer and fewer users, it costs a lot of manpower to package and test different versions. After all, 64-bit consumer CPUs has been available since 2003, so most people would have replaced their hardware more than once. My only sacrifice will be an old Atom based netbook, it won´t be missed.

Comment

Keep the arch for compat like steam, but kill the 32-bit installer and base packages. It would also mean less chance of installing incompatible version when you are running multi-arch.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

There was some Arch talk about it recently. Don't keep your hopes up on long term Arch i686 availability - remember, Arch doesn't even support ARM in the main project, and the prospect of having one architecture and one ISO is very alluring.

Debian, though, will probably support x32 forever.
          Debian doesn't support x32. They do support x86 though.

Comment

And here I am, creating a new 32 bit jessie image to roll out over 1k+ "new" 32 bit intel arch systems...

Comment

Originally posted by hiddenmaverick View Post
              I bought a brand-new ASUS Transformer Book in March 2015 with a Bay Trail processor, which uses a 32-bit UEFI for booting the operating system. This computer will only boot a Linux distribution if it includes 32-bit UEFI boot files, which Ubuntu did not traditionally ship with their 64-bit builds. If they plan on dropping 32-bit x86 without including the 32-bit UEFI boot files in their 64-bit builds, I will not be able to install Ubuntu at all on this computer.
              It just means you will have to install older 32-bit grub packages, maybe automagically by running boot-rescue-disk (ubuntu-based distro) that is frozen in time at somehwere in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                If only repeating the same lie over and over would make it true.
                I could be 50lb lighter and married with children.

As it is, neither am I 50lb lighter or married with children, nor is Debian a rolling release distro.
                Debian Testing sure does kinda maybe let people think it is rolling releas tho. It's not a rolling release, but it is close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is not my fault that Debian is better than ubuntu: Debian is cleaner and that is why it is faster, stable and easier to maintain. You put cake over cake and have nothing but a mess, that is happening in Debian derivatives. Debian testing/unstable is a rolling release distribution that derivatives are not. Debian support more hardware than derivatives.

You are just pissed when using poorer distribution.
                  Neon has a faster boot and a more responsive and eye-candy interface.

Comment

The survey mentions april 2019 as the earliest date of no further updates...
                    I wonder though, if only Ubuntu is meant (with Unity), or all Ubuntu-variants (Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc.)... Personally, I use Lubuntu, and do believe that LXDE and XFCE do make much more sense than Unity on rather dated machines...

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
                      The survey mentions april 2019 as the earliest date of no further updates...
                      I wonder though, if only Ubuntu is meant (with Unity), or all Ubuntu-variants (Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc.)... Personally, I use Lubuntu, and do believe that LXDE and XFCE do make much more sense than Unity on rather dated machines...
                      Ubuntu-variants are reskins, they lack the manpower to mantain 32bit packages themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X