Playing Around With Ubuntu's Snaps, On Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post

Ok i see. Snap is only for US citizens because US citizens are not limited by bandwidths. But i'll guess other people (95% of the world population) is seeing this differently. I live in Germany and people have bandwidth limitations. Throughput and/or max num of Gb per month. I am not one of them but they exist. Daily size is much bigger and while you are updating significantly more data, your awesome Youtube session or skype can be disrupted. Sry but i can't really understand how anyone cannot not see the disadvantage in this.
    I am not a US citizen, but the only times I saw limited bandwidth on a home Internet connection, mobile connections are a whole different story, was with people who use Internet only very little, email and few portals and thats it. Unlikely users of Linux and snaps though anything is possible. 99% of others had flat Internet. I did say that downloads might be an issue with people with slower connections, and by slower I mean less than 10 Mbps. And no I dont have a superfast optic fiber connection so I dont care about download size, but I can endure somewhat longer download if that means I can have my applications updated without any problems. And you can never satisfy everyone, some people have limited bandwidth and yet others have old computers that barely run XFCE, it is impossible to satisfy everyone's needs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Michael
      Read the author line next time :P Michael's not the only one who posts here, in this case: I was the author

Michael: Run "snap find" instead of "snap find *" and you see more snaps.

Why shouldn't snappy be able to declare runtimes or frameworks that apps use?
      Which doesn't really make sense (if that is in fact what I did), because there were no snaps ANYWHERE in my home directory.

After doing "snap find" instead, I did find more snaps to use. The only two that were worth testing, to me at least, were Krita and VLC. Krita ran correctly, and from what I can tell: it does seem to be function. I am not an artist though, so my "testing" was little more than "Does this tool work? Yup. Can I open files? Yup. Can I change settings. Yup. Cool".

VLC ran, but something is definitely wrong. It's not taking my window theme, and I'm not even sure what theme it IS trying to take. Looksl ike a Windows 95/98 application.

Why shouldn't snappy be able to declare runtimes or frameworks that apps use?
      Because then you just made Flatpak, and all of Canonical's work was literally for nothing.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The day this becomes standard is the day I switch to FreeBSD. I don't want or need this gimmicky trash to sell my OS back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
          I don't care about wayland, I don't care about mir, I don't care about those so-called "security issues" when snap is running on X11, I think whining about package sizes is dumb and whining about how it's harder to keep systems updated with the latest libraries is dumber. I care about getting my application in the hands of users. Michael Hall created a snapcraft file for Krita in his spare time, with two or three iterations it worked, and all I as an application author has to do is run the script and upload the result to the app store. And now the result runs in lots of other distributions! Magic! I'm very happy -- though the official way of distributing Krita for Linux will remain appimages.
          Well said, majority of Linux users and developers dont care about politics and they use whatever works for them, they will embrace whatever works best for them. Some people cant seem to accept that most people, yes even Linux users, dont care about politics but they care about their own user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

It does hold if you twist words, when you download daily updates you wont see a huge increase in download size, overall size is not important, we arent on limited bandwidths anymore, so why should I care if I download additional gigabytes in a certain period? What users dont want is downloading much more every day when they update, and that would not happen because applications are not updated at the same time. Daily size is not much bigger, that is the only thing users might care about, and even that only if they are on slow connections. It is not like users stare at the monitor while updates are downloading, doing absolutely nothing.They do other things unless you are the type that likes staring at the updating process and not doing anything else while it is downloading, 99% of users dont do that, they surf the Internet, chat on Skype, listen to music etc.
            You really underestimate how shitty some internet connections are. There's a huge amount of people dealing with dial up (56Kps or less) as their only option, and I'm not even talking about third world countries here. Then we also need to consider the people who don't even have stable or affordable power available to them, thus can't afford to wait 6 hours for libreoffice to download.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
              overall size is not important, we arent on limited bandwidths anymore, so why should I care if I download additional gigabytes in a certain period?
              Who is this "we" you are talking about? here high-speed internet coverage is very spotty,

It is not like users stare at the monitor while updates are downloading, doing absolutely nothing.They do other things unless you are the type that likes staring at the updating process and not doing anything else while it is downloading, 99% of users dont do that, they surf the Internet, chat on Skype, listen to music etc.
              Something that isn't hampered by large amount of downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

You really underestimate how shitty some internet connections are. There's a huge amount of people dealing with dial up (56Kps or less) as their only option, and I'm not even talking about third world countries here. Then we also need to consider the people who don't even have stable or affordable power available to them, thus can't afford to wait 6 hours for libreoffice to download.
                If their Internet is so bad they can opt for flatpaks if they are smaller, the advantage of choice, nobody forces them to use snaps, but like I said it is impossible to satisfy everyone in everything, someone somewhere will always have a too slow connection, too slow computer or something else for something new that came out. That is a larger problem than Linux, the unequal development in the world, but that is outside of the scope of this discussion.

Comment

I have cable connection but am not masochist enough to download 1.1GB instead of 150MB. I rather move away from Ubuntu, maybe back to Suse like 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Who is this "we" you are talking about? here high-speed internet coverage is very spotty,

Something that isn't hampered by large amount of downloading.
                    By no longer being on limited bandwidth I meant unlimited data, not very high speeds, and I know high speed is something which varies from country to country, city to city, even street to street etc. Every user will decide whether the extra size of snaps is ok for them or not, you cant satisfy everyone, and they will have alternatives in the form of flatpaks, but I think most users will be okay with occasional bigger downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post

Ok i see. Snap is only for US citizens because US citizens are not limited by bandwidths. But i'll guess other people (95% of the world population) is seeing this differently. I live in Germany and people have bandwidth limitations. Throughput and/or max num of Gb per month. I am not one of them but they exist. Daily size is much bigger and while you are updating significantly more data, your awesome Youtube session or skype can be disrupted. Sry but i can't really understand how anyone cannot not see the disadvantage in this.
                      To add to your point, there is a huge portion of the states that have dial up at 56Kps or less as their only option. Plus there is also is a class issue, where some families don't have the money to pay for luxuries such as faster or non limited internet connections.

So I guess Snap is not for rural or poor people either.

Comment

Working...
                      X