Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gentoo LiveDVD Released, Powered By Linux 4.5 & Supports ZFS

Phoronix: New Gentoo LiveDVD Released, Powered By Linux 4.5 & Supports ZFS

It's been quite a while since the last Gentoo LiveDVD release, but a new image has surfaced this weekend as Gentoo 20160514 and codenamed the "Choice Edition" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux 4.5
    GIMP 2.9.2
    ZFS On Linux
    UEFI support

This is great! Downloading

Comment

This is not a "Gentoo Release", it's just a live dvd. Installation CDs get published at least once a month, may already saw 3. portage snapshots and stage archives (that's what you really need for an installation) are published way more often. Remember: Gentoo is a rolling release distro, there is nothing like a release

Comment

Oh, I just wanted to create the exact same liveCD(or DVD) for recovery purposes. cryptsetup is also included - yay! ^_^

Comment

Oh, well, Gentoo has a live release. Umm, well. I've become more and more questioning towards them - since Gentoo is all about choice and of course you can't really give people the full choice once you burnt something into an image on CD/DVD. And for a Gentoo installation you basically need just any Linux (maybe even BSD) with some filesystem / partitioning and network support to install.
          Nevertheless it's probably good for outsiders to see this kind of lifesign, even thought it cannot transport the "rolling release" and "all about choice" feeling. Moreover it might be a nice tool once you need a live media and good for repairing a system (until grml comes back - weren't the poor fellas over there fighting with something like udev/systemd?). So I guess it is a good thing after all.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

People still use Gentoo?

I used to run it on my server, htpc and workstation around 10 years ago. Dabbled a bit with funtoo and exherbo just to get an idea of the different takes on the gentoo idea and in the end figured that arch would give me most of what I wanted with not a lot missing.

These days, my arch boxes have been replaced with antergos because it saves me some time and still gives me the benefits of arch.

But Gentoo? I'm not sure I see the point anymore -- unless you run a university undergrad comp. sci. dept. and want to be able to control and customize *everything* or something like that.

Can someone who runs Gentoo on a daily basis perhaps explain recent (as in 3-5 years) developments and improvements in how portage is handled/updated?
            Last edited by ermo; 28 May 2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              People still use Gentoo?
              I'm not sure I see the point anymore -- unless you run a university undergrad comp. sci. dept. and want to be able to control and customize *everything* or something like that.
              You're missing the point. Gentoo isn't your average distribution but rather a set of tools to build your own. Just one example: it's estimated 7.3 million Chromebooks built using Gentoo were sold just last year. It doesn't mean you can't benefit from building it on and for a single machine. But for most users, like it seems to be your case, it doesn't make sense. For many others with server, embedded or scientific needs, using Gentoo is often the only way of doing things sustainably or even at all.
              Last edited by Calchan; 28 May 2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I use it. I like it. It gets my boxes to work. I have gentoo on a lot of older and some less old hardware. It runs about everywhere, you can customize it, you have the choice. You can still learn a lot how the whole thing works. It is rolling release.
                Of course you need some time, especially in the beginning, and later you will want to have a moderately fast system for compilations or crosscompile/chroot-compile.

We do have a couple of people here on phoronix that do use Gentoo and even an occasional developer among them. They can probably tell you more about portage. I use it for... don't know... maybe since ~2004/2005 (?) and it has improved. Occasionally I find a new feature, something got better that was a bit painful in the past (or the use of it is now explained (e.g. --verbose-conflicts), the messages are clearer and point you to the solution ^^). You rarely need revdep-rebuild, portage now checks for these problems and tells you about them (emerge @preserved-rebuild). equery, emaint, eix, euses, q and all that stuff comes in handy.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Calchan View Post
                  You're missing the point. Gentoo isn't your average distribution but rather a set of tools to build your own. Just one example: it's estimated 7.3 million Chromebooks built using Gentoo were sold just last year. It doesn't mean you can't benefit from building it on and for a single machine. But for most users, like it seems to be your case, it doesn't make sense. For many others with server, embedded or scientific needs, using Gentoo is often the only way of doing things sustainably or even at all.
                  Why would you assume that I don't know the strengths and weaknesses of Gentoo? My point -- which you appear to have missed -- is that, while Gentoo was once a successful and forward thinking meta-distribution, it appeared to languish and found itself becoming much less relevant for various reasons that all hark back to portage and the sprawling portage-tree being rather difficult to maintain and upgrade without breaking stuff.

But sure, if you have the means to wrangle the complexity of Gentoo via e.g. a dedicated team of portage-wranglers (a.k.a. BOFHs), then I'm the first to agree that you can build and distribute excellent custom images like e.g. Google does with ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    We do have a couple of people here on phoronix that do use Gentoo and even an occasional developer among them. They can probably tell you more about portage. I use it for... don't know... maybe since ~2004/2005 (?) and it has improved. Occasionally I find a new feature, something got better that was a bit painful in the past (or the use of it is now explained (e.g. --verbose-conflicts), the messages are clearer and point you to the solution ^^). You rarely need revdep-rebuild, portage now checks for these problems and tells you about them (emerge @preserved-rebuild). equery, emaint, eix, euses, q and all that stuff comes in handy.
                    Thanks. This was the sort of summary that I was hoping for.

Comment

Working...
                    X