ZFS Finally Lands In Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

You're saying that as if controversies and publicity were somehow a bad thing to Canonical
    Well they obviously seem to like them, that much is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by SirMaster View Post
      Anyone think there is a chance we will eventually see it in jessie-backports?
      *maybe*.

I just built the package myself for jessie-backports using my jessie chroot, it built correctly. So technically if it works, then it could go to the official stable-backports repo (assuming someone wants to maintain it)

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Sorry mate, I'm afraid it's not
        Indeed. Being dead would imply it was alive at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
          So is btrfs dead now or not?
          zfs will die before btrfs. Just saying. With that said, zfs isn't a bad choice for those who hate hardware raid.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

zfs will die before btrfs. Just saying. With that said, zfs isn't a bad choice for those who hate hardware raid.
            ​Yup, all those Fortune 500 companies will throw out their million dollar ZFS Storage Appliances, because fsck now works on Btrfs!

The wishful thinking is strong with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

​Yup, all those Fortune 500 companies will throw out their million dollar ZFS Storage Appliances, because fsck now works on Btrfs!

So you think companies will use outdated technology forever?

Comment

btrfs actually works on windows now also, there is a winbtrfs driver available. I have tested it, does work, missing a couple features but in its current state you can use it fine (is at version 0.4).

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  You got it wrong, none throws away stuff that still works, it's just the new stuff that will not be ZFS anymore.

Also, you got it wrong, twice. fsck isn't how you are supposed to fix things in btrfs. It isn't ext4 damnit.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 May 2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

You're pretty ignorant of the facts to say something like that. I can guarantee you there are more large scale ZFS systems in the world than BTRFS, not to mention it's been considered stable a lot longer (maybe not on Linux), but most places that make use of ZFS are large enterprise setups not people using it on their desktop systems. Let's not forget it's natively supported on FreeBSD and Solaris by default.

But then again I'm not a Linux fan at all anymore (Linux quality has gone down the toilet in recent years compared to FreeBSD)

We have 2 190TB ZFS arrays at work, many 50TB and a lot more smaller ones. I know several other companies with large ZFS arrays as well. I don't know any using BTRFS, we have actually been actively migrating all our Linux systems to FreeBSD over the past year... All I can say is those systemd lovers smoke lots of drugs to think it belongs on production systems.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfires View Post

You're pretty ignorant of the facts to say something like that. I can guarantee you there are more large scale ZFS systems in the world than BTRFS, not to mention it's been considered stable a lot longer (maybe not on Linux), but most places that make use of ZFS are large enterprise setups not people using it on their desktop systems. Let's not forget it's natively supported on FreeBSD and Solaris by default.

But then again I'm not a Linux fan at all anymore (Linux quality has gone down the toilet in recent years compared to FreeBSD)

We have 2 190TB ZFS arrays at work, many 50TB and a lot more smaller ones. I know several other companies with large ZFS arrays as well. I don't know any using BTRFS, we have actually been actively migrating all our Linux systems to FreeBSD over the past year... All I can say is those systemd lovers smoke lots of drugs to think it belongs on production systems.
                      uh... You really really really don't understand what ZFS is or what it does or why it was created... nuff said. Don't be belligerant because you "think" you are smarter than those of us that were there when ZFS was created.

So... although your ears are now closed and opposed to looking at anything new or different, btrfs is still quite new and unlike ZFS isn't the result of years of development by a large funded corporate endeavor to replace horrid antiquity inside their own so called "enterprise" systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X