Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8 Deprecates Btrfs

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Deprecates Btrfs & eCryptfs

Buried within the notes for today's Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8 release are a few interesting notes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That document only refers to RHEL6 where btrfs was merely a technology preview. No matter what the wording may indicate, if it's not written in letter in the upcoming 7.3 release notes, it simply does not apply to RHEL7.

Comment

Deprecating BTRFS? Are they insane?

Comment

dafuq? are they deprecating something not totally(but mostly) stable yet?

this is so weird

Comment

Uh what? Was someone at RedHat nodding off at their keyboard?

I can understand if they want to reclarify that btrfs is immature or suggest against using it due to lack of maturity, but deprecating it seems odd when both are supported in the kernel.... Or were these features that were backported and this is their way to say that they won't be getting updates for the rest of RHEL 6?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            That document only refers to RHEL6 where btrfs was merely a technology preview. No matter what the wording may indicate, if it's not written in letter in the upcoming 7.3 release notes, it simply does not apply to RHEL7.
            We'll see what RHEL7.3 notes say, but how they word it seems to imply otherwise and their description included in the article about deprecation: "Deprecated functionality continues to be supported until the end of life of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Deprecated functionality will likely not be supported in future major releases of this product and is not recommended for new deployments."
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

"This chapter provides an overview of functionality that has been deprecated, or in some cases removed, in all minor releases up to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8."

Emphasis added.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Deprecates Btrfs & eCryptfs

Buried within the notes for today's Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8 release are a few interesting notes...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...precates-Btrfs
                Ah so I guess it was just a technical preview for 6 only?

Comment

WTF? By the way if someone with some knowledge of btrfs has some suggestions I'm having quite a few problems with it: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...ms.btrfs/56036
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    WTF? By the way if someone with some knowledge of btrfs has some suggestions I'm having quite a few problems with it: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...ms.btrfs/56036

I've been running BTRFS on multiple system and architectures for about four years. Have had multiple equipment failures, but haven't lost a single byte of data in any BTRFS filesystem. I'm using Fedora; maybe there's some issue with the way the software is built on Arch (e.g., a subtle compiler bug).

Edit: I just remembered that I had built a server where the RAM was passing memtest, but the system would periodically crash with occassional corruption (EXT4). It turned out the RAM needed a slightly higher voltage (it was labeled 1.65V, but needed 1.73V to be stable). The recommendation came from the manufacturer, and after the change the server was rock solid.
                    Last edited by macemoneta; 10 May 2016, 03:46 PM. Reason: Additional suggestion

Comment

Working...
                    X