Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
    "Why the name gNewSense?

The name originated as Gnusiance as a reference to RMS's GPG key, but was later changed to gNewSense by bbrazil and ompaul to also capture the New Sense of the distribution and as a pun on GNU." http://www.gnewsense.org/FAQ#Why_the_name_gNewSense.3F
    That's all well and good, my point however is, who in their right minds would name their product nuisance?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      That's all well and good, my point however is, who in their right minds would name their product nuisance?
      Is this more eyebrow-raising than "GIMP"? I am not associated with the gNewSense project and am not certain why someone would choose gNewSense over Trisquel, but the name seems like a nonissue, particularly given the target audience.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

What wouldn't you pay for Freedom?
        Using outdated software when there's much better alternatives out there. Try Trisquel or Parabola.

Comment

I'm shocked that software released by a bunch of stick-in-the-muds would look so crappy.

Yep, I definitely think that having an awful looking desktop is a small price to pay to not have any proprietary software in my OS.

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

What wouldn't you pay for Freedom?

Ironically, FSF's definition of freedom does not include the freedom to choose proprietary software if you so desire.

I want the freedom to run whatever software I want on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
              Ironically, FSF's definition of freedom does not include the freedom to choose proprietary software if you so desire.

I want the freedom to run whatever software I want on my computer.
              It's not like gNewSense has a built-in program that monitors software licenses you use on your computer and destroys the computer if it detects non-free software. The distro just happens to not include any non-free programs, but you're still free to run proprietary software in gNewSense if you want.

Originally posted by kaprikawn
              I'm shocked that software released by a bunch of stick-in-the-muds would look so crappy.
              The image in the article is from gNewSense 1.0 which was release 10 years ago, so of course it will look dated. The current version looks just like a regular Gnome 3 desktop. Not sure if you still think that's ugly. It's almost as if Michael purposely chose the crappiest image he could find to make it look worse than it actually is.

Comment

Working...
              X