KDE's Project Neon Begins Publishing Daily Wayland Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Is there any way to install that on top of Debian testing? I want to use newest Plasma, but I'm not interested in Ubunutu.
    For the time being, Neon is only tracking Kubuntu at the moment. The goal is to provide packages for any distro, but a lot has to happen to make that possible.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Is there any timeline / release schedule for Qt? I can't find any info on Qt 5.6.1.
    There isn't a public one (that I know of), but there's this: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/neon/...ay/000138.html
    Last edited by bug77; 04 May 2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Does primary clipboard works? That's the two things I'm waiting for — primary selection and Compose key configs. I'm curious what's up with the latest (how is that supposed to work with Wayland), but before that I'm waiting for the first to be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        Does primary clipboard works? That's the two things I'm waiting for — primary selection and Compose key configs. I'm curious what's up with the latest (how is that supposed to work with Wayland), but before that I'm waiting for the first to be ready.
        I'd guess the compositor would read your .XCompose (ironically) and use that for input. (assuming that's what you mean) – Xkb was specifically refactored to be useable outside of X.

Comment

Can't they use something XDG base directory spec compliant? I don't like cluttering $HOME, but so far that's the only way to use something like .XCompose.

Comment

With wayland, will KDE allow switching virtual desktops independently for each monitor? Currently with X11, when you switch virtual desktop, all monitors switch. Martin Gräßlin had previously mentioned that X standards mandated this behaviour, can we expect more flexibility with wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
              Now, as you are already talking about multi-monitor support, I just wanted to ask what your expectations compared to X11 are. The current state of multi-monitor support with docking stations in Plasma/KWin is... suboptimal (I am now the last KDE user at the chair because of that ) - will this all be magically solved with Wayland or won't that matter much?
              Yeah, we are quite aware of the deficits of multi-screen on X11. The situation with Qt's xcb behavior is sub-optimal, to say it in a friendly way. Of course we see the problems and how Qt badly reacts on them and of course we don't want to get into such situations again. For example we see that Qt goes mad when all screens are removed. Simple solution on Wayland: KWin will always provide a screen. Even if physically all are disabled, there will be a dummy screen. Latest breakage on the X11 system I'm seeing is that when the screen goes to suspend it gets somehow also removed and Qt starts to remove windows. That's something which we don't do - suspend of outputs does not affect the availability of which screens are there.

But as already mentioned: currently the multi-screen support is still kind of broken on Wayland: rendering is not supported correctly. It's on my todo list for 5.7. Other things work nicely: I tested a lot with plugging in/out external screens, removing when suspended, etc. That all works quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by PFee View Post
                With wayland, will KDE allow switching virtual desktops independently for each monitor? Currently with X11, when you switch virtual desktop, all monitors switch. Martin Gräßlin had previously mentioned that X standards mandated this behaviour, can we expect more flexibility with wayland?
                The virtual desktop implementation is shared between X11 and Wayland at the moment. This means it currently has also the constraints of X11. We have some ideas to change it, but it's not anywhere high priority.

Comment

@mgraesslin

Qt apps on compositors like Enlightenment behave horribly. Menus don't work etc. Is this on the list of things to be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    @mgraesslin

Qt apps on compositors like Enlightenment behave horribly. Menus don't work etc. Is this on the list of things to be fixed?
                    If you see bugs in QtWayland, please report them. I'm more working on the other side (server instead of client). Concerning menus I reported https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51640 - maybe that's already your issue?

Comment

mgraesslin does primary clipboard works now with Wayland? In particular, does it works with XWayland apps?

Comment

Working...
                      X