Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu & Other Ubuntu Spins Look At Making Room To Grow

Phoronix: Ubuntu & Other Ubuntu Spins Look At Making Room To Grow

With Ubuntu's install images continuing to be oversized with pushing 1.4GB on recent releases, Ubuntu developer Steve Langasek has raised the new limit for Ubuntu desktop images to 2GB. Other Ubuntu flavors are also following in this move...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u-ISO-2GB-Size

Though I dislike some of their ways of working, some of their ways of working are cool. E.g. they have daily builds of iso images so you know quickly that your image is too big. Mageia often is delayed for ages because all kinds of small things which are only checked sometimes. E.g. the iso image size is only checked during image building. It's also nice to see that they only slightly increase the limit instead of going from e.g. 800MB -> 4GB.

All these tiny things add up to ensure you have a nice release. This automated checking of the iso image is something I suggested to Mageia many years ago. Unfortunately not enough people capable of setting something like that up.

Comment

I'd prefer to have a small image having only base+sshd for server and base+desktopenv for desktop. Really minimal. Then when you install this, add whatever crap you want grom the installed desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
        I'd prefer to have a small image having only base+sshd for server and base+desktopenv for desktop. Really minimal. Then when you install this, add whatever crap you want grom the installed desktop.

Then use the Network Installer: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Comment

Basically 2 (unsigned 4 in theory) GB is the simple limit for 1 filesystem image stored onto ISO 9960. Some BIOS versions have got problems accessing files after 2 GB so you need to be sure that the bootloader is stored first then the rest. Basically 2 GB iso images should boot everywhere. 1.4 GB was only a restriction to fit onto a MiniDVD otherwise pointless.

Comment

As long as it boots, I don't care about the size. But, I don't want 600-megs more of stuff installed, if that's what they're thinking. Give me more control of what's installed.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
              As long as it boots, I don't care about the size. But, I don't want 600-megs more of stuff installed, if that's what they're thinking. Give me more control of what's installed.
              Well you now have more control of what to uninstall...

With the end of optical supports this 2GB makes sense, most distros already ship that size so that installation is more complete directly.
              BTW now "small" SSDs are 256GB it will not hurt that much.

Comment

It's also about limiting the download size (see the mailing list discussion). They have to deal with the slowest connection; not the 100+MBit/s that a lot of people have.

Comment

I'd have liked them to set the limit a smidge smaller than "2GB" to ensure the ISOs will fit onto formatted "2GB" devices. Perhaps with a bit of space to spare for a bootloader and a few scripts.. 1.8GB or so ought to be ample?

Makes sense for the studio spin to go bigger... but I'd hope that "4GB" would really be c. 3.7GB for the same reason...
                  Last edited by Dick Palmer; 03 May 2016, 12:04 AM. Reason: oopsie :)

Comment

4GB = 3.73 GiB

Comment

Working...
                    X