No announcement yet.

Beta Released Of Devuan, The Systemd-Free Version Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These discussions usually end up with the same list of pointless arguments.

systemd has this one annoying bug that really sucks
    Nobody says systemd is perfect, but all things considered, many people agree that it's better than the alternatives. I've found systemd modules to be easier to maintain than bash scripts, anyway. Just as a reminder, on my gentoo system, the average init script is 86 lines long, the longest 789. systemd modules are usually around 10. Sure, both OpenRC and upstart have a few nice features that systemd lacks, but overall, I consider systemd to be superior to either.

Why would I want systemd? sysvinit works fine for me.
    That's great. If you had your way, we'd still be using linux 2.4 and motif. The features that systemd brings are important and waaaay overdue. Sure, you could implement cgroups, container spawning and read-only roots in your sysvinit bash scripts, but eventually your bash scripts will be 5k LoC each, making them brittle and unmaintainable. Which is why nobody does it, and which is why we need a proper init system that turns common requirements into a fool-proof one-liner.

But it's about choice
    I can probably name a dozen packages that everyone on every distribution uses, for which there are no alternatives. Yet, there are no debates about any of them. I really don't see why it's bad that we converge on a new and modern init system, but not a problem at all that we're stuck with the same kernel, the same ssh implementation, the same util-linux, the same zlib, and for most of us the same shell implementation and the same bootloader.
    The whole debate is not technical, but emotional.

But all those things aside, isn't devuan a good thing?
    We'll see. It takes more than a proof-of-concept and an announcement to make a distribution I can trust. Their announcement raises a few red flags, so does their aggressive donation drive. But the most important test is their handling of security issues. OpenSSL will have a critical update in two days. If I was considering switching to devuan, I'd keep a close eye on the availability of updates and their communications around them.
    For comparison: Gentoo Linux Security Advisories, Debian Security Advisories, Devuan Security Advisories. Notice anything odd on the third link?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      Great news. Maybe I will be able to recommend Linux again to people (as recommending Gentoo isn’t really an option most of the time).
      But there are Funtoo as well

I am a happy OpenRC user since long. All I need to know about possible start scripts are located in /etc/init.d. I can start them using the rc-scripts or just /etc/init.d/xdm start. I can use tab compleetion as I tend to forget the script name, and to search for scripts I suspect shall be there.

I have 94 scripts installed and rc-update tells me there are 37 scripts that will be called during boot phases.

I have yet not been able to find out where systemd stores the different possible "things" (services or what ever) that can be started. When I look in a booted system I find a list of started things that is beyond readability and I have no longer an overview. It has been very difficult to understand what each thing in the list does and why it is there. This is decided by someone else, I have little means to know or chose. And the list is too long to make a simple review of started things. This need to be done; although Gentoo does not mess the list of default services up Funtoo does actually have a postfix service started that I don't want.

I tried to write a start script for for TVHeadend in Linux Mint. It looked like i first have to write my old bash-script, then I have to write some service description as well. I have postponed the task for a later future and here comes Devuan so I may actually be able to get back to things I can grasp. I have this for OpenRC since long and it is not difficult there.

And before someone calls me a newbie or so. I have been using *nix since 1992 when I hit my first job and felt in love with a Sun OS 4 and Open Look desktop (29 years). I used to be a system administration for a professional network of 400+ Sun Solaris users, I have been maintaining test environments and Unix has been with me all through my working life yet. I have installed a Sun based Clearcase multisite from ground up, including rolling down the server from the pallet. I remember our first feeble attempts with Caldera Linux. I would consider my self above average experienced *nix user, sufficient experienced to be able to know what I have running on my desktop or server, or restart services that need to be restarted, or to decide what will be started on my box.

And I most certainly choose OpenRC for the task.

And I do modify the distro supplied scripts from time to time when I need things to manage a hickup they where not built for (mainly the start scripts for ZFS).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        you started the game of calling names. Bravo!
        you started game of posting bullshit in forums instead of reporting bugs. don't like name calling - do something smarter. btw, isn't it funny that someone in this thread tried to reproduce your bug and it doesn't reproduce? either it was geniune bug which was reported by someone smarter than you and fixed, or it is your own breakage
        Last edited by pal666; 01 May 2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          No i didn't, phoronix forum ain't case sensitive.
          what does this garbage mean?
          Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          Maybe the D in systemD stands for the Devil
          no, it stands for "i am unable to read fucking readme"
          or even "i did't try to research it myself, instead i got all information on subject from someone who is unable to read fucking readme"
          Last edited by pal666; 01 May 2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
            pal666 you seem to really enjoy insulting everyone who does not agree with you
            no, it is demonstrably false even by my recent posts on this forum. i argue with people who don't agree with me. but i call idiots idiots. you are the one, btw

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Anything that comes from RedHat is religious in linux distributions, be it usable like systemd or total crap like pulseaudio and networkmanager
              anything what comes from debian + xfce fanatics is garbage

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                SysVinit works.
                it doesn't.
                Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                Does everything I need from it
                stone axes also did everything neanderthals needed from them

Comment

Would you like to have bsd or hurd kernel by default in fedora or redhat
                  what idiot would like that?
                  Redhat kernel developers humilates amd and nvidia by changing kernel api gpl only
                  redhat developers are taking part in developing amd and nvidia drivers. nvidia windows blob deserves humilation.
                  and I found one fatal bug in amdgou dal code
                  are you off your meds?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikR View Post
                    I have yet not been able to find out where systemd stores the different possible "things" (services or what ever) that can be started.
                    did you even think of reading docs? that is laughable. btw it also supports tab completion and every single feature you praised sysvinit for.
                    Originally posted by ErikR View Post
                    And before someone calls me a newbie or so.
                    i call you someone who stopped learning
                    Last edited by pal666; 01 May 2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      what does this garbage mean?
                      Since you don't know what case sensitive is i wonder how long you have been using linux?
                      Computer dictionary definition for what case-sensitive means, including related links, information, and terms.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      no, it stands for "i am unable to read fucking readme"
                      or even "i did't try to research it myself, instead i got all information on subject from someone who is unable to read fucking readme"
                      No it does not, how did you come to that conclusion?
                      Why is it so hard for you to understand and let others to not use systemD?
                      Not wanting to use systemD doesn't make a person an idiot or stupid with lack of knowledge just like using systemD doesn't make anyone smart och full of knowledge.
                      Why are so many wanting every single linux user to use systemD and call everyone who doesn't names, stupid or that the decision is based based on emotions when it's actually your emotions that goes thru the roof if some one doesn't want to use it?
                      Why all this one init system to rule them all argument? (sounds like the ring of sauron) instead of letting everyone decide for them self?

Comment

Working...
                      X