Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Linux Distributions Begin Analyzing Clear Linux's Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    Of course there is. But sometimes deciding whether a crime was actually committed as insinuated requires expert evidence. The courts don't always come to logical conclusions.
    They may lack expert witnesses or the judge might simply be an ignorant buffoon.
    In the EU Intel antitrust case it was the European Commission which first arrived at the conclusion that Intel engaged in illegal practices.
    They have publicly documented their findings and explained their antitrust decision on hundreds of pages:
    Searches for published decisions can be carried out under policy area, case number, title and date.

Intel appealed the EC decision to the European Court of First Instance (General Court), unsuccessfully. Note how Intel did not dispute the practices that the EC had uncovered (like paying OEMs and retailers to exclude AMD chips from their offerings), instead they claimed that the EC did not show that this behaviour was harming consumers.
    Intel then appealed to the European Court of Justice, but I haven't followed that so I don't know what that is the current status of this.

So I am pretty sure that the case against Intel is solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't have any Intel Chromebooks
      Well that's all right, I can't expect you to own all hardware ever produced . I guess I'll see for my self when I get another Intel based chromebook.
      Last edited by chimpy; 25 April 2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Which reminds me of one of the best quotes I ever read (unfortunately I don't remember where): "I'll start treating companies as people when the state of Texas starts executing them".
        That's a fantastic one. It sounds familiar but, yeah, that's about the size of it.
        Corporations are people only in a very, very limited legal sense. They still can't vote, be murdered (well, maybe through a hostile merger), marry, etc.

Wikipedia has a good article on the subject:

Comment

@chitanah @pal666

That is a good point and that is what should be discussed. The importance of this distinction between the company and its culture is important and explains how companies like apple and Microsoft can so rapidly change from being, respectively, very, very litigious and hostile to Linux/OSS.
          Those are not even close to the only examples.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Regardless of how you view it, it's better than the alternative of dictatorships or monopolies.
            False equivalence + a big, fat strawman. Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              In the EU Intel antitrust case it was the European Commission which first arrived at the conclusion that Intel engaged in illegal practices.
              They have publicly documented their findings and explained their antitrust decision on hundreds of pages:
              Searches for published decisions can be carried out under policy area, case number, title and date.

Intel appealed the EC decision to the European Court of First Instance (General Court), unsuccessfully. Note how Intel did not dispute the practices that the EC had uncovered (like paying OEMs and retailers to exclude AMD chips from their offerings), instead they claimed that the EC did not show that this behaviour was harming consumers.
              Intel then appealed to the European Court of Justice, but I haven't followed that so I don't know what that is the current status of this.

So I am pretty sure that the case against Intel is solid.
              Hmmm, I wonder if there still would be a case if TTIP-like trade agreements were in place.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

False equivalence + a big, fat strawman. Nicely done!
                What, do you really want to me quote case law, why monopolies and dictatorships are wrong? Come on man, you can't possibly be that stupid. There is no strawman in saying Monopolies and dictatorships are wrong. Idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

But you know that's not even half of it. Intel's CPU's are pretty good. I wouldn't exactly call them great though. Everybody thinks that because they have the performance crown, that must mean their architecture is great, but it's just not true. Believe me their architecture has some serious scalability issues.

EDIT: If Intel was AMD's size there is no way in hell their architecture could achieve the performance they've managed to get from it.

EDIT: I think GF was the worst thing AMD ever did and I think it's Intel's fault partly. (Dirk Meyers, great CPU designer, horrible CEO)
                  I was referring to that gen of CPU specifically. I didn't mean to imply they were all crap.

Comment

Please pardon me if this question have been asked in the past, but aren't there any Linux distributions with optimizations for AMD CPUs and not Intel's?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      ... aren't there any Linux distributions with optimizations for AMD CPUs and not Intel's?
                      Gentoo
                      The website of Gentoo, a flexible Linux distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X