Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking ZFS For A Test Drive On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking ZFS For A Test Drive On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

    Phoronix: Taking ZFS For A Test Drive On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

    One of the most recurring requests this week from Phoronix readers were for doing some ZFS file-system tests on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Here are some basic results using a single SSD.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23087

  • #2
    Shame you didn't test F2FS too.

    Comment


    • #3
      It woul be great to compare against FreeBSD, too.

      Comment


      • #4
        So you can now boot from zfs like pcbsd?

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you guys think there's any change Oracle will relicense ZFS under GPL?

          Comment


          • #6
            No, I doubt that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              Do you guys think there's any change Oracle will relicense ZFS under GPL?
              No. Oracle is a patent monger and they closed all of Sun's open source code. The code that still exists was forked legally before Oracle closed it all. There is no chance they will re-open under a GPL.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by duby229 View Post

                No. Oracle is a patent monger and they closed all of Sun's open source code. The code that still exists was forked legally before Oracle closed it all. There is no chance they will re-open under a GPL.
                Didn't Btrfs also belong to Oracle at one point? If so, why does Oracle treat Btrfs differently than ZFS?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Maxjen View Post

                  Didn't Btrfs also belong to Oracle at one point? If so, why does Oracle treat Btrfs differently than ZFS?
                  From what I can tell it was derived from an experimental btree implementation that could copy on write. That code was GPL from the beginning, and accordingly all derived works must be GPL. At least that's my take on it.

                  https://lwn.net/Articles/342892/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                    Shame you didn't test F2FS too.
                    agreed

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X