Ubuntu 16.04 Intel Graphics: Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, Openbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    You are confusing the "Suspend compositor for full screen windows" option with manually temporarily disabling compositor with ctrl+shift+F12. The latter is the suggested way by kwin's developer and the one you should use when playing games (of course, it works with Intel).
    This is all automated testing, Michael rarely takes the time to tune things by hand.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Edit: I personally think that the real solution would be implementing _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR but Martin doesn't care so I fear we will never see it.
    And then you get one game that doesn't use _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR and go back to complaining that KDE should do something about it.
    Of course, we could get both features, but since developers won't implement both, I'd rather have the manual disabling of the compositor.

Comment

Taking into consideration how many dislike unity, it is funny to see it as the overall winner.

Comment

I've read this whole thread and can't see an answer to this: Can someone explain HOW Unity beats Openbox? Given that Openbox won't even be using a compositor?

Comment

First of all: I'm sorry if I'm mistaken about the section to post this question and I'll gladly fix it in case I'm wrong. Now to the issue itself:
          I've been testing, for some time, a few Linux distributions (including Ubuntu 16.04). One of those test profiles (qgears2 - Text) yields results way below average for Ubuntu when compared to other distributions. I'd like to know whether those results are natural or, in some way, configuration dependent. What follows is the system under test configuration (all other test were executed in the same machine):

Phoronix Test Suite 6.6.1
          Processor: Intel Pentium E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 Cores)
          Motherboard: DIGIBOARD G41M-S v5.0
          Chipset: Intel 4 DRAM + ICH7
          Memory: 4096MB
          Disk: 320GB Seagate ST3320418AS
          Graphics: Intel 4 IGP
          Audio: VIA VT1708S
          Monitor: SMB1630N
          Network: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast + Ralink RT3060 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R
          Kernel: 4.4.0-15-generic (x86_64)
          Desktop: Unity 7.4.0
          Display Server: X Server 1.18.1
          Display Driver: intel 2.99.917
          Compiler: GCC 5.3.1 20160320
          File-System: ext4
          Screen Resolution: 1366x768

Unit is frames per second

(Full size available at https://postimg.org/image/o609e1f9n/)

Comment

Working...
          X