No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.04 Intel Graphics: Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, Openbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In this blog post I want to outline some thoughts on how the gaming experience can be improved on Linux. Situation on X11 On X11 the big problem for gaming is the Compositor. Games need access to t…

Comment

Why on earth would the desktop environment or desktop compositor make any difference at all in 3D gaming performance?

On Windows, games are usually running in an exclusive fullscreen mode (on Windows 10 there are currently some issues regarding this for UWP apps, but Microsoft is working on it).

Do games on Linux not run in an exclusive fullscreen mode?

Is there any way to run Linux games in an exclusive fullscreen mode?

And if not, how would G-Sync or FreeSync work on Linux at all?

Comment

PS:

Okay, this blog post actually explains it:

In this blog post I want to outline some thoughts on how the gaming experience can be improved on Linux. Situation on X11 On X11 the big problem for gaming is the Compositor. Games need access to t…

What a mess...

Linux really needs to get rid of X11 and make Wayland the new standard.

Also, that "sub-session" idea propsed by Martin Gräßlin sounds very good as well.

Comment

Could you run benchmarks with xfwm4 git master? It's got huge revamp

Comment

So knowing that pb of x11, and that you tested intel graphics... Can't you do another round with unity8 and gnome+wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Would like to see some Solus benchmarks, they boast pretty loudly about their desktop performance optimizations, would be nice to see if they live up to it.
              Not related to performance, but does Solus support FDE (encrypted root) at install time yet? If not, is there any plans to do so with 1.2 or any future release?

Comment

It's too bad you didn't have a chance to test the SteamOS compositor in Ubuntu from the https://launchpad.net/~mdeslaur/+archive/ubuntu/steamos PPA,

Would it be tough to get something like this going with your Phoronix test suite. Ya know, with SteamOS being a big picture mode interface.
                Last edited by tegs; 17 April 2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Can we see Lumina DE results on Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Each of the desktops was tested out-of-the-box. Plus with Intel anyways, doesn't that option on KDE not have any effect? They had disabled it in the code for Intel to have no effect, or did they end up reverting that decision?
                    You are confusing the "Suspend compositor for full screen windows" option with manually temporarily disabling compositor with ctrl+shift+F12. The latter is the suggested way by kwin's developer and the one you should use when playing games (of course, it works with Intel).

Edit: I personally think that the real solution would be implementing _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR but Martin doesn't care so I fear we will never see it.
                    Last edited by darkbasic; 18 April 2016, 04:42 AM.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Each of the desktops was tested out-of-the-box. Plus with Intel anyways, doesn't that option on KDE not have any effect? They had disabled it in the code for Intel to have no effect, or did they end up reverting that decision?

As far I read and remember, automatic undirected composition for full screen window is not working and disabled. But Ctrl+Shift+F12 disable composition manually. It squeeze out some fps. In Dota2 or Team Fortress it is no factor for me(already vblank 60fps) but I have seen improvement in Shadow of Mordor or Metro redux with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X