Fedora 24 Alpha Is Looking Great, Running Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    The default Fedora workstation desktop is easily the most tested desktop. This alpha release already got more testing by live and sane humans than most other distributions will get during their entire life time.
    Erm...I'm the Fedora QA team lead and I wouldn't want to say that. Other distros also have dedicated test teams.

Comment

Originally posted by shaolin View Post
      I installed Ubuntu 15.04 and now i'm using 15.10 with proprietary Nvidia 364.12 + Gnome 1.18 and kernel 4.5. All good. no problems on updates at all. But i'm willing to give a try into another distro.

I just got a new ssd and i am looking for a new distro for tests porpouses. Would fedora be a good choice or what? I always wanted to give it a try.

I use dailly this rig for gaming and streaming. I just want a system that i can update with latests drivers and is stable.
      Honestly, for NVIDIA gaming with the proprietary driver, Fedora is not an awesome choice, because Fedora per se really cares very little about the proprietary drivers and we rev the kernel quite quickly which can frequently cause issues with the proprietary driver. If anything I'd recommend trying one of the Fedora derivatives which aims to support this kind of usage, e.g. Kororaa.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        it uses wayland compositor?
        F24 doesn't use Wayland by default, but you can easily switch to it (at least for GNOME and I think KDE) in the login manager. It's just a session option you can pick from the drop-down menu.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

Erm...I'm the Fedora QA team lead and I wouldn't want to say that. Other distros also have dedicated test teams.
          Sssssshhhh, take the compliment :P Seriously though, good on you for correcting misinformation.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

But Fedora is one of the few distros which actually gets bugs fixed. I don't like Fedora as a desktop distribution but sometimes I found myself installing it just to get bugs fixed upstream, which rarely happens in distros like Debian. If you report a bug in Debian stable chances are either:
            1) Nobody answers
            2) Someone tells you it is not a security critical bug and so fix can't be backported because of fuck1ng policies.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              How did you get 364.12 running on 4.5? I mean its running for me to but some applications wont even start, saying my card is not supported. 364.12 doesnt support 4.5.
              I used this for kernel http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and this for gpu drivers ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Fedora Workstation is pretty stable-- the spins are a little less so, because they don't get as much testing. Usually by the time the kernel and X updates hit Fedora the Nvidia driver has updated against them, so you don't have any problems there. Personally, I use Fedora Workstation as my daily driver, though with AMD/Intel, not Nvidia. If you've got the extra drive laying around, give Fedora a whirl and see if you like it. I will say, the Fedy application is an absolute must if youre new to Fedora.
              Thanks for this. I'll try Fedora 23 to begin with. Sounds fun!

Honestly, for NVIDIA gaming with the proprietary driver, Fedora is not an awesome choice, because Fedora per se really cares very little about the proprietary drivers and we rev the kernel quite quickly which can frequently cause issues with the proprietary driver. If anything I'd recommend trying one of the Fedora derivatives which aims to support this kind of usage, e.g. Kororaa.
              Oh well, Sounds like double the fun now! I never heard about Kororaa but liked the name. Gonna check.

Comment

Could you please file a bug for the crash if it's not too much trouble? The installer should give you a step-by-step wizard for submitting a crash report, the only slightly painful bit is you'll need to sign up for a Red Hat Bugzilla account if you don't already have one. This will make it about 100x time more likely that the issue will get fixed (unless someone else happens to have run into and reported the same crash already).
                Looks like someone did already run into the same issue:

Comment

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post

Looks like someone did already run into the same issue:
                  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1306808
                  Ah yep, that one - it seems to be related to reuse of existing btrfs volumes, so if you don't absolutely have to do that, you could work around the bug (e.g. by deleting them and creating new ones). Otherwise, it is accepted as a Beta blocker, so it ought to be fixed by Beta. Thanks for running the report!

Comment

Fedora Workstation is the distro i come back too whenever i ragequit my distrohopping spree and just want to get back to a working system with minimal hassle. For example i tried Manjaro KDE couple days ago. Picked german keyboard and everything, next reboot i have a US keyboard. Not in settings mind you, but in effect. Everything from localectl command to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf to KDE settings tells me im running a german keyboard. But im not, its a US one.

I even know what the issue is. It gets inherited from sddm and prolly is related to my logitech unifying receiver which has known issues with localisation. But honestly, if not even localisation of keyboard works out of the box ... To be perfectly frank that shit worked fine back in debian potato, i do NOT have the nerves to deal with issues like that anymore.

Next i tried opensuse kde. Same issue, screw it. Append "setxkbmap de" to /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup and it'll work, its a hack but whatever. So i installed firefox and tried youtube and ... WTF. Sound is broken. Plays in "slowmotion", system sounds aswell. I'm using a broadwell intel chip and piping sound over HDMI, how can it be broken? So yeah, back to Fedora and you know what?

Gdm + Gnome + Systemd just works. My keyboard is german, my sound is doing fine and setting up gnome how i like it takes like 5 min. Updates are completely painless since im doing them as i shut down the system in the evening, thanks to systemd offline updates, which is the SANE way to update a system. Just because you can overwrite files of running programs doesn't make that a good idea.
                    Last edited by SebastianB; 20 April 2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X