Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Alpha Released

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Alpha Released

While it was delayed, the alpha release of Fedora 24 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    So old users must wipe the drive with this?
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading Upgrading directly using yum or DNF

Not a recommended upgrade method
    Followed up the part from the same link
    Upgrading directly from one release to the next using dnf (or yum for releases before Fedora 22) is not explicitly tested by Fedora QA and issues with it are not considered blockers for a release, but in practice it works for many users, probably due to our packaging guidelines providing detailed information on maintaining upgradability.
    That sentence applies to any operating system especially to those having third-party package unavailable on their repository.

Comment

What an antique os.
      That page also says that an upgrade using DNF system upgrade plugin is supported. No reason to wipe the disk AFAIK.

Btw, someone just changed that page. It was very confusing when I opened it again and thought that I was on wrong page. Anyway now it only talks about the supported way to upgrade.
      Last edited by Tomin; 29 March 2016, 02:46 PM. Reason: Trying to be more polite :)

Comment

They should be removing yum from that page because most likely updating to Fedora 24 by using yum will fail.
        The reason behind it is simple: Fedora started adopting rpm's new rich dependencies which yum doesn't support.
        This causes yum to abort instantly because it's not able to resolve such packages.

glibc (and language packs), kde, libreoffice and some other packages and metapackages started adopting rich dependencies.

Comment

What an antique os.
          it just means fedup was never part of blockers for release which is more or less every distro out there. fedup was available very long time. with moving to new system for upgrade they changed it to blocker and as such it should go trough more testing. simple as that

Comment

What an antique os.
            I... really wish I was a mod so I could add you to global ignore.. I've only seen two posts of yours, and I already hate you.

"dnf system-upgrade --releasever=24"

Using dnf/yum as per "dnf update --releasever=24" was NEVER supported. All you are doing is trolling.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Hi,
              I don't have Fedora on my computer but to be clear : if I had Fedora23, if I want to upgrade to Fedora 24, I should do a "dnf system-upgrade --releasever=24" ?
              If yes, isn't a clean install better ?

Comment

Originally posted by killerbot View Post
                Hi,
                I don't have Fedora on my computer but to be clear : if I had Fedora23, if I want to upgrade to Fedora 24, I should do a "dnf system-upgrade --releasever=24" ?
                If yes, isn't a clean install better ?
                Sorry, correction:
                Code:
                sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=24 (wait for it to be done) sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
                That's debatable. A clean install is just that, clean, but if you have a ton of stuff in your home dir, or lots of changes, then a clean install might be prohibitive. Honestly the debate of "clean install vs upgrades" have been going on since... basically the beginnings of computing.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Be in mind it will be possible to upgrade from Fedora 23 using Graphical system i.e. Gnome Software in this case.

Comment

Sigh, it looks like there's been a royal goddamn clusterf**k on the Upgrading wiki page. One person rewrote it to talk about the Atomic host image stuff that still relatively few people are using, then someone else decided to "clean it up" and between those two changes, the original flow of the page has been completely lost and it doesn't do the most important job, which is to tell you quickly and clearly what the recommended upgrade methods are.

I will fix it.

To be clear: at present the officially recommended upgrade method for upgrading from Fedora 21 or later for all Fedora installs *except* "Atomic" is the dnf system upgrade plugin. The instructions for that are at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade . So read that page.

There's a planned Fedora 24 Change which introduces graphical upgrades in GNOME; the DNF system upgrade plugin and the GNOME 'offline updates' feature are really almost identical so it's quite easy to tweak GNOME's update mechanism so it can also handle system upgrades, and that's what that is. But I'm not 100% sure what the status of that feature is ATM, and the CLI dnf system upgrade mechanism will certainly still work just fine for a Workstation install, so you may as well use that for now.

Of course, upgrading to F24 is not recommended for production / critical systems at this point, as F24 is still an Alpha.

Comment

Working...
                    X