Fedora Linux Is Looking To Become More Modular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I still fail to see how this differs from the current usage of package managers. Are they going to use metapackages? Sounds too easy to trumpet it around like this.
    There are plenty of details in the linked wiki page. In case, you missed it, a summary is provided by https://lwn.net/Articles/680278/. Hope that helps.

Comment

The goal sounds interesting, yet another way of distributing software regardless of the rest of the system.

Let's see how this pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I'm pretty sure that something like a decade ago it was called redhat package manager.
        it was, but we are living now

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it was, but we are living now
          True dat, I'm mostly a Debian user, my info on red hat's stuff was a bit outdated lol (also the "yum" thing above).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Have us idiots ever heard of OLE technology
            what are you smoking?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

God I wish trolling was a bannable offense...

You can install any amount of desktop environments, or none at all, as you like on Fedora. Debian Testing is only kinda-sorta a rolling release, given that it gets frozen for months at a time leading up to a new stable release. RPM has nothing to do with it. Neither does Europe or China have anything to do with it. GTFO.
              Not only that, but Fedora Rawhide is analogous to Debian Testing.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                actually, it's rpm package manager
                I think it may have been changed at some point. In any case, its commonly referred to as BOTH.
                I.e., IBM calls it "Red Hat Package Manager" -- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...l-lpic1-102-5/
                Also; http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...ackage-Manager "originally called the Red-hat Package Manager"....

Sometimes it can be helpful to be "inclusive" (or at least not-exclusive) when you are trying to collaborate with those who could potentially be competitors.

Comment

In Europe we do not have such social problems as in us, where all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
                  Remove "space" from there plz. Space programs in US are getting very frugal amounts of tax money, and the expensive parts (rockets and space stations) are in the process of being taken over by private sector like SpaceX and (hopefully Bigelow for space stations, using NASA inflatable module technology, sold to save it).

Comment

Nasa is going to populate Mars, so in us all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
                    http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ourney-to-mars
                    You seriously have got to be kidding me!

Any trip to mars with current space propulsion technology is basically gonna be a one way trip. Sure we might be able to get a handful of people there, but it would be so cost prohibitive to get them back home that it just won't happen. We need a new form of space propulsion that can exert something like 1 kilonewton for extended time frames. There is nothing that exists like that.

EDIT: Googling on the matter I found this highly interesting link.
                    Last edited by duby229; 29 March 2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

In Europe we do not have such social problems as in us, where all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
                      non alternatively gifted europeans could easily check this bullshit

Comment

Working...
                      X