Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux Is Looking To Become More Modular

Phoronix: Fedora Linux Is Looking To Become More Modular

A new working group is being formed that's focused on making Fedora more modular and to define a base module from which new derivatives of Fedora can be constructed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds very promising. Modularity is optimal OS' structure for widespread utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Debian is already modular (f.ex. you can install several desktops or not install) and debian testing is a rolling release. Microsoft and redhat are practising these features with bad results. RPM is the reason for monolithic os, Europe has been allways more educated than the new continental. Asia (China) is the most educated. Fedora in many ways is like windows and thats not good.
      That's a joke, must be. The sooner you realize that people are human beings regardless of where they are, the better off you'll be.

Comment

Debian is already modular (f.ex. you can install several desktops or not install) and debian testing is a rolling release. Microsoft and redhat are practising these features with bad results. RPM is the reason for monolithic os, Europe has been allways more educated than the new continental. Asia (China) is the most educated. Fedora in many ways is like windows and thats not good.
        God I wish trolling was a bannable offense...

You can install any amount of desktop environments, or none at all, as you like on Fedora. Debian Testing is only kinda-sorta a rolling release, given that it gets frozen for months at a time leading up to a new stable release. RPM has nothing to do with it. Neither does Europe or China have anything to do with it. GTFO.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Modular in what sense? we have already package managers. Are they making that work better? Or what?

Debian is already modular (f.ex. you can install several desktops or not install) and debian testing is a rolling release.
          You can do that in Fedora too, they have their own package system with automatic dependency resolution, and Fedora Rawhide is their "testing" rolling release.

More or less any distro can do that.

It's obvious that they want to do something different.

Microsoft and redhat are practising these features with bad results.
          The reason Win10 is seen as crap have nothing to do with that, the reasons win10 isn't selling nor is seeing adoption are completely unrelated with both.

RPM is the reason for monolithic os,
          RPM = red hat package manager. It's their dpkg. They use "yum" instead of "apt-get" to install packages with it.

Europe has been allways more educated than the new continental. Asia (China) is the most educated.
          Please don't claim the US invented idiots, they didn't. The sooner you realize that idiots are everywhere, the better.

Fedora in many ways is like windows and thats not good.
          Not anywhere near. RedHat/CentOS yes, Fedora... no.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 28 March 2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Debian is already modular (f.ex. you can install several desktops or not install) and debian testing is a rolling release
            looks like only idiots are attracted to debian and xfce

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Modular in what sense? we have already package managers. Are they making that work better? Or what?
              I have heard this talk in Fedora channels before, but basically the idea is that Fedora is more a set of lego's that you can snap together... part of the reason to the Cloud, Workstation, Server split was to support that idea, that software and packages just "snap" in place as you need them. This is more than likely a continuation of that work.

RPM = red hat package manager. It's their dpkg. They use "yum" instead of "apt-get" to install packages with it.
              Not quite, I think it was Fedora 23 or 22 where 'yum' was considered legacy for the not-quite drop-in replacement that was 'dnf'. it more or less boils down to the same thing from a user's point of view, but quite a few things between the tools have changed under the hood.

Not anywhere near. RedHat/CentOS yes, Fedora... no.
              Well, not even Centos is like Windows... it's the closer of the two (between it and Fedora) due to it's larger support window, but the community around more than makes the difference. It's likely the reason to why Redhat officially got involved with the project among the many RHEL-clones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
                I have heard this talk in Fedora channels before, but basically the idea is that Fedora is more a set of lego's that you can snap together... part of the reason to the Cloud, Workstation, Server split was to support that idea, that software and packages just "snap" in place as you need them. This is more than likely a continuation of that work.
                I still fail to see how this differs from the current usage of package managers. Are they going to use metapackages? Sounds too easy to trumpet it around like this.

Well, not even Centos is like Windows... it's the closer of the two (between it and Fedora) due to it's larger support window, but the community around more than makes the difference. It's likely the reason to why Redhat officially got involved with the project among the many RHEL-clones out there.
                CentOS/redhat is close to windows because each release is designed to keep a stable ABI and APIs for a decade or so, to allow proprietary crap software/drivers to be installed and not break when updating.

This is the closest thing I could find to the ramblings of "fedora is monolithic like windows" that guy I answered to.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  RPM = red hat package manager
                  actually, it's rpm package manager

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    actually, it's rpm package manager
                    I'm pretty sure that something like a decade ago it was called redhat package manager.

EDIT: that or many people fell into the trap of this funny recursive acronym.

Comment

Working...
                    X