Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux Is Looking To Become More Modular

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    In Europe we do not have such social problems as in us, where all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
    Remove "space" from there plz. Space programs in US are getting very frugal amounts of tax money, and the expensive parts (rockets and space stations) are in the process of being taken over by private sector like SpaceX and (hopefully Bigelow for space stations, using NASA inflatable module technology, sold to save it).

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

      Remove "space" from there plz. Space programs in US are getting very frugal amounts of tax money, and the expensive parts (rockets and space stations) are in the process of being taken over by private sector like SpaceX and (hopefully Bigelow for space stations, using NASA inflatable module technology, sold to save it).
      Nasa is going to populate Mars, so in us all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
      http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ourney-to-mars

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

        Nasa is going to populate Mars, so in us all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
        http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ourney-to-mars
        You seriously have got to be kidding me!

        Any trip to mars with current space propulsion technology is basically gonna be a one way trip. Sure we might be able to get a handful of people there, but it would be so cost prohibitive to get them back home that it just won't happen. We need a new form of space propulsion that can exert something like 1 kilonewton for extended time frames. There is nothing that exists like that.

        EDIT: Googling on the matter I found this highly interesting link.
        http://www.astronautix.com/articles/sovermal.htm
        Last edited by duby229; 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          You seriously have got to be kidding me!
          Returning to what I am smoking, I recently found this real story:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa...nd_the_Snowman
          when searching for the lyrics meaning of this song:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRF8xGzvj4

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            In Europe we do not have such social problems as in us, where all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
            non alternatively gifted europeans could easily check this bullshit

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Nasa is going to populate Mars, so in us all tax money goes in to the space
              everybody is going to populate mars eventually, so this means nothing. nasa's budget is less than half percent of total us budget, you could check it on special wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA if you weren't so stupid

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                its commonly referred to as BOTH
                many common things are wrong http://www.rpm.org/

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Nasa is going to populate Mars, so in us all tax money goes in to the space and to army and army actions.
                  http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ourney-to-mars
                  You need to look at the budget, you silly.

                  The only one that has some kind of chance to get at Mars is Musk, the guy behind Paypal, SpaceX and Tesla Motors, as he is stockpiling money and technology to get there and is very motivated.

                  NASA is running on a shoestring budget since the end of Apollo.

                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Any trip to mars with current space propulsion technology is basically gonna be a one way trip. Sure we might be able to get a handful of people there, but it would be so cost prohibitive to get them back home that it just won't happen. We need a new form of space propulsion that can exert something like 1 kilonewton for extended time frames. There is nothing that exists like that.
                  Yes, with the turd "let's do a US coast-to-coast carrying ALL our own fuel" approach of Apollo and earlier missions (also Shuttles weren't terribly smart either, with their "let's make a vehicle that can lift more or less the same payload of a Saturn V, but let's waste it in carrying up and down a huge, heavy and mostly pointless vehicle instead of keeping the capsules+ space stations approach").

                  If you use the more sane "why not refuel along the way" approach, costs go down and it looks less stupid.

                  It's going to be relatively cheap (compared to the average war), if the general plan is to send tanks of propellant there in mars orbit, then when they are there and safe you can send the manned vehicle.

                  If they place fuel manufacturing on the moon (nothing terribly complex, it's just take water and hydrolize it to make fuel, using the plentyful solar power that in the inner system pwns even nuclear power.

                  EDIT: Googling on the matter I found this highly interesting link.
                  http://www.astronautix.com/articles/sovermal.htm
                  US-based equivalent are NERVA engines (as noted there), which existend and were tested in real life, they weren't just paper engines. There were also (on paper) the more advanced LANTR (they add oxygen after the nuclear reactor to get an afterburner-like effect).
                  Point is, neither is worth the annoyance. They are just a bit better than plain chemical engines, but are ludicrously more dangerous and expensive.

                  If you want 1 kilonewton for long times, the only thing that can deliver is the good ol Orion Drive. Aka nuclear pulse propulsion.

                  In reality you don't need so high accelerations, you can get anywhere with a constant 3-or-so milligee acceleration. But that can be done only by very very OP fusion engines or exotic external-powered systems like kinetic impactor propulsion (the more powerful cousin of lasers shining on solar sails).
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 03-29-2016, 04:50 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X