Debian 9.0 Stretch Will Be Delayed To Allow For The Linux 4.10 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 9.0 Stretch Will Be Delayed To Allow For The Linux 4.10 Kernel

Phoronix: Debian 9.0 Stretch Will Be Delayed To Allow For The Linux 4.10 Kernel

The Debian release team has decided that the freeze for 9.0 "Stretch" will be slightly delayed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wonder if RHEL8 be delayed to get this kernel

Comment

I agree with the Debian project's decision.

Comment

is it Debian still letting services starting by default even when not used after their installation? I remember this was the most citricised security aspect of this otherwise once very popular distro.. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          is it Debian still letting services starting by default even when not used after their installation? I remember this was the most citricised security aspect of this otherwise once very popular distro.. Cheers
          If you have installed for instance, something like php5-fpm and you expect it not to auto-start by default, then all you must do is to remove it.

If you mean after their uninstallation then yes, everything around this package gets removed, apart from its config files unless you are explicit about it.

This is my personal experience as a Debian user for many years now.

Comment

Am I reading it right? 4.10 instead of 4.5?

Comment

This way they get time enough to package in Gnome 3.20. Maybe even 3.22.

Comment

It would be a great thing for Debian Stable to have an LTS kernel and set their freeze timetables around that. An LTS kernel in Stable would surely be very advantageous to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Am I reading it right? 4.10 instead of 4.5?
                  "We anticipate releasing Stretch with version 4.10 of the Linuxkernel, which means a longer upstream support period and improved compatibility."
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Best news I heard in a quite a while. If Debian starts tracking kernel LTS schedule consistently instead of making arbitrary cuts of their own, we'll start seeing more and better back porting of security patches and drivers. Now with Linaro's LSK and Android already following the LTS cycle train it will open the road for developers to target Debian as part of their overall Android and Chromebook support. Meaning we might end up seeing ARM Debian Mini-PCs

Last edited by c117152; 03 March 2016, 09:30 PM. Reason: Oh right they've been doing it for some time now :D

Comment

Working...
                    X