How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

Phoronix: How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

As it's been a month since our last large Linux distribution comparison (a 10-way Linux distribution battle), here are some fresh benchmarks of six Linux distributions to see how their out-of-the-box performance compares. From a Core i7 Broadwell system, the updated versions of Clear Linux, Fedora 23, CentOS 7, openSUSE 42.1, Ubuntu 15.10, and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS were compared.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22862

Clearlinux kinda pwned this.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Clearlinux kinda pwned this.
      Without knowing exact details on their "magic flags" I fear they do sacrifice stability/reliability for this...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Without knowing exact details on their "magic flags" I fear they do sacrifice stability/reliability for this...
        arjan_intel can probably provide more enlightenment, but their optimizations shouldn't sacrifice stability/reliability... Keep in mind Clear Linux isn't designed to be an enthusiast/desktop distro but is aimed for servers / containers.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

We don't use any of the scary flags in Clear Linux. We do have mechanism for adding AVX2 for specific libraries as an automatic runtime-detected option (this helps the math workloads like R). We also have a lot of infrastructure to make it easy for us to use -O3 for performance sensitive parts of the OS while using the normal -O2 for the bulk of the OS (and -Os for some of the size sensitive parts).

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
            We don't use any of the scary flags in Clear Linux. We do have mechanism for adding AVX2 for specific libraries as an automatic runtime-detected option (this helps the math workloads like R). We also have a lot of infrastructure to make it easy for us to use -O3 for performance sensitive parts of the OS while using the normal -O2 for the bulk of the OS (and -Os for some of the size sensitive parts).

I realy like Clear Linux idea and would maybe use it on my desktop in future, with things like Solus OS :> Continue to do great things please

Comment

Clear Linux is rather impressive. I wonder when someone will start making a usable desktop fork of it kind of like Mint?

Comment

I wonder how it compares to Arch Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                  Clear Linux is rather impressive. I wonder when someone will start making a usable desktop fork of it kind of like Mint?
                  https://solus-project.com/

Comment

Where is Debian???

Comment

Working...
                    X