Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 6.06 To Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Performance Benchmarks: 10 Years Of Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 6.06 To Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Performance Benchmarks: 10 Years Of Linux Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu 6.06 To Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Performance Benchmarks: 10 Years Of Linux Performance

As I'm in the process of retiring an old AMD Opteron dual-socket system, prior to decommissioning it, I figured it would be fun to go back and re-benchmark all of the Ubuntu LTS releases going all the way back to the legendary 6.06 Dapper Drake release. So here are some fresh benchmarks of this AMD Shanghai system with eight cores and 16GB of RAM when re-benchmarking the releases from Ubuntu 6.06 through the latest Ubuntu 16.04 LTS development state.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 10.04 was my first Linux distro ever and that shit was the bomb. I was introduced to Linux from one of my High School English teachers and didn't go back to Windows for several years (and even now only because I'm forced to).

Comment

My father installed Fedora 16 on my computer when I was younger, later Ubuntu 8.04, I remember how frustrated I was with the new color themes, I liked the orange and brown theme, then came that horrible purple and black.

The last Ubuntu that I used was 12.04 LTS, and then I changed to Manjaro when a I read a post about it here on Phoronix, around 2014 I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Ubuntu 10.04 was my first Linux distro ever and that shit was the bomb. I was introduced to Linux from one of my High School English teachers and didn't go back to Windows for several years (and even now only because I'm forced to).
        Ubuntu 8.04 was my first, and I was introduced by my High School teacher as well albeit from IT. I loved 8.04, but 10.04 really was the best. I still have fond memories of it.

I've found that it's usually the young ones that, after introduced, will themselves opt to stay and keep using Linux. All the adults I've converted, lasted only temporarily. Heck, the adults are also the ones who abhor Windows 8 onwards. I guess it's as the saying goes, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post

Ubuntu 8.04 was my first, and I was introduced by my High School teacher as well albeit from IT. I loved 8.04, but 10.04 really was the best. I still have fond memories of it.

I've found that it's usually the young ones that, after introduced, will themselves opt to stay and keep using Linux. All the adults I've converted, lasted only temporarily. Heck, the adults are also the ones who abhor Windows 8 onwards. I guess it's as the saying goes, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

in my experience is more easy to old ppl use new ubuntu releases than young ppl, young ppl are to stupid to change, they only like to copy others

Comment

8.04 was the first Linux distro I extensively used and is what I learned the most from. I dabbled in earlier versions but I was still mostly using XP during early 2008 and earlier. I stopped using Ubuntu entirely by 10.04, and moved onto distros like Debian and Arch.

Knoppix was the first distro I've ever used.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 05 February 2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Started tinkering with Linux with Ubuntu 9.04 and did serious move to it with 10.04.
              Despite Ubuntu's quality, look how far we now. Awesome open source graphics, no wireless lan tinkering, more open sourcing than ever. Future looks promising. :-)

Comment

You're making me feel old (and no doubt there will be older ones here).
                My first GNU/Linux distro was Ubuntu 7.04. Fond memories.
                My last ubuntu was 8.04, which I changed to ArchLinux in early 2009. Believe it or not, it's still that same install (fully up to date, of course) on this laptop, which is no longer my main machine since mid 2014.

Comment

Man 8.0 was gorgeous. I remember the aesthetic feeling very homey and lived in. Modern Ubuntu might pop and bedazzle more but there were some good days in the waning years of Gnome 2.

Comment

I remember buying a RedHat 7.3 box set from Office Depot after seeing my summer HTML class teacher using Slackware on his Thinkpad. I installed it on my Inspirion 5000 replacing Window98se. I was 16
                    Last edited by jmcharron; 05 February 2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X