Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 6.06 To Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Performance Benchmarks: 10 Years Of Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many others here... My first Linux distro was Ubuntu 8.04. I used Ubuntu until 14.04, but I had been wanting to change ever since Unity came around.

Debian Jessie was a breeze of fresh air, I would use Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux, but I would NEVER go back to Ubuntu. I finally got to understand what people meant with "Ubuntu is a train-wreck", which I didn't fully comprehend since I was in that world. When you look at it from outside it look hideous.

I realize that some people like Ubuntu and that it suits them well. But if you are having doubts about it, do yourself a favour and try something else!

Comment

My first (K)Ubuntu was 5.06 I believe, lasted a few releases before seeing the light

Comment

If Hardy's wallpaper was available in a higher resolution I'd probably still be using it.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
          If Hardy's wallpaper was available in a higher resolution I'd probably still be using it.
          Since the original image is a vectorial one, I would say it has a quite high resolution already.

Comment

Originally posted by Nouser View Post

Since the original image is a vectorial one, I would say it has a quite high resolution already.
            Thanks, I guess you just need to know where to look I've only ever seen PNG versions.
            Last edited by randomizer; 06 February 2016, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Nice. Comparing Debian will be interesting too.

Comment

Hardy was my first distro too, the machine I used is now a local server running Arch. It's a beast of a machine with a mighty AMD Sempron 1100 LE processor (which was slow and crappy even when it was released, but hey, it still does its job admirably).

When they dropped support for Hardy I did the update to I think it was Lucid. That worked but introduced a few annoyances that I couldn't live with. After the update, when the machine rebooted the bittorrent client showed a warning/error that I had to clear each time which was problematic due to the fact that there was no monitor hooked up. Luckily by then I was much more comfortable with the CLI. So, figuring I didn't want to go through the upgrade hassle again, I installed Arch which is much easier to maintain.

I still had an Ubuntu install on my netbook at the time but wiped that after they announced Mir as my own little protest, been Ubuntu free ever since (well, apart from a Mint install I did recently in VirtualBox, but I'm not sure that counts). I'm now a card carrying member of the Ubuntu haters club, how times have changed.

Comment

I'd love to see the same thing, but for a much longer-lived distribution, like Debian (all the way back to the first that works on the system at all) and Red Hat (older RedHat Linux, and then CentOS, starting with CentOS 2.1 and going all the way up, using the last minor release of each major). If Mother's Day would run (and it likely won't) going that far back could be fun......

All these newbies..... you should have tried installing SLS back in the day from floppy images stored on QIC-40 floppy tape. My first day-to-day desktop Linux was Red Hat Linux 4.1 (including the screaming Red Baron web browser!) back in April of 1997; same year I installed Progressive Networks RealAudio Server 2.0 on Red Hat 4.1 on a dual Pentium Pro 200 system with a monstrous 64MB of RAM......

Comment

Originally posted by rosmaniac View Post
                    I'd love to see the same thing, but for a much longer-lived distribution, like Debian (all the way back to the first that works on the system at all) and Red Hat (older RedHat Linux, and then CentOS, starting with CentOS 2.1 and going all the way up, using the last minor release of each major). If Mother's Day would run (and it likely won't) going that far back could be fun......
                    It's not really practical or economical, unfortunately. I don't have much hardware still around that's pre~2004. Anything older no longer works or I got rid of, so goihg back further wouldn't work for older distros. Besides, with such old hardware, the performance is terribly slow. With that said, due to the slow hardware speeds, testing will take much longer when already it's hard enough to break even on ads/subscribers/donations from the testing as is.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Understood. As you asked in the body of the article (well done, by the way!), if anyone wanted to see CentOS tested to just speak up.... so I did. However far back is fine, if you have the time and opportunity to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X