Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 Planning Will Take Place At UOS In May: What Do You Hope To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.10 Planning Will Take Place At UOS In May: What Do You Hope To See?

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.10 Planning Will Take Place At UOS In May: What Do You Hope To See?

The dates for the next Ubuntu Online Summit have been finalized and will take place two weeks after the release of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've given up hope on Mir + Unity 8. It's three years late now, with exactly ZERO progress. The worst part is that if Unity 8 actually came, it would be a terrible regression in terms of usability and user friendliness. I for one am NOT excited at the idea of using my desktop PC like it was a 5'' mobile phone. No thanks.

Snappy on the desktop would be nice, esp. if it also allows non-root users to install their own apps.
    Oh and please just leave GCC alone. If Canonical really feels like trying to fix something, why not pick something that actually is broken?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      I've given up hope on Mir + Unity 8. It's three years late now, with exactly ZERO progress. The worst part is that if Unity 8 actually came, it would be a terrible regression in terms of usability and user friendliness. I for one am NOT excited at the idea of using my desktop PC like it was a 5'' mobile phone. No thanks.
      The whole point of convergence is that when you're on your phone you'll get a desktop experience if connected to a larger display, not to turn your desktop environment into a giant phone.

Comment

I for one am NOT excited at the idea of using my desktop PC like it was a 5'' mobile phone. No thanks.
        That wasn't the original intent (though I agree that the current result looks very much like a mobile OS running on the big screen).
        The original intent was to have something that would be able to compete, head-on, with Microsoft Continuum. A system where applications would have two states they'd work in. Desktop mode and mobile mode.

Oh and please just leave GCC alone. If Canonical really feels like trying to fix something, why not pick something that actually is broken?
        The switch to clang would mean an improvement for everyone involved. It's not only slightly quicker in some disciplines (barely slower in others), its diagnostics are far more expressive than GCC's. Of course the liberal license would also be a huge plus for Canocical.

Comment

Snappy on the desktop would be nice, esp. if it also allows non-root users to install their own apps.
          Unity 8 on the desktop does not look like a mobile phone, not at all, see Youtube videos of Unity 8, it looks more like Unity 7 though it is still under development for the desktop, the point of convergence is to have desktop experience when you connect the phone to a monitor, there are videos of that too, not to have a mobile look. It wont be pushed as default until it has feature parity with Unity 7, that is what Canonical said.

On topic - I want to see Unity 8 with Mir and XMir as an option for 16.10, with or without Snappy base, preferably with Snappy.

Comment

They should consider using dnstrigger and a local dnssec validating resolver by default like fedora

Comment

Wayland

Comment

I want the Ubuntu Edge.

Okay, long shot, so I'd like to see more focus on Mir and Snappy development. Being able to install Snappy packages in a non-root session without invoking root privileges would be great. Containers in an already unprivileged environment? Fantastic idea for security. Having a framework set in order for those containers to be portable across systems? Even better.

Yeah, Canonical got, gets, and will get plenty of heat for whatever they do. But their ideas and direction they're going are quality. I just wish they'd stop getting ahead of themselves. And deliver the Ubuntu Edge when they're ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                  see Youtube videos of Unity 8
                  I did, and I don't like it. Never really did like Unity, tbh, just kinda stuck with it. I'll probably switch to another DE when 16.10 arrives.

As for what I'd like to see? Also a long shot: a better driver management tool. The 'additional drivers' screen is useless. 'Open source' isn't just one option, nor does proprietary (talking about AMD here) only have fglrx and fglrx-updates as options. But this is also on the GPU manufacturers, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

That wasn't the original intent (though I agree that the current result looks very much like a mobile OS running on the big screen).
                    The original intent was to have something that would be able to compete, head-on, with Microsoft Continuum. A system where applications would have two states they'd work in. Desktop mode and mobile mode.
                    So, which are the MS Continuum apps that make a great, full featured desktop experience (or even a decent mobile experience - not that I care much about that)? Can you cite some - even a single one?

The whole idea is IMO brain-dead. In practice it means developing mobile apps that can run on a big screen, period, as you already pointed out. The code required to respond to and drive a GOOD desktop UI (multiple non-modal windows, drag & drop etc.) and to provide desktop features (working with LOCAL files, printing) is so radically different from a mobile, strictly cloud-oriented, gesture-based, modal touchscreen UI app that no one will ever bother developing two dramatically different, incompatible apps in one. Look at Unity 8. Look at Canonical's web browser app. "Great" desktop apps, eh?

Or, forget the browser - look at, for God's sake, the CALCULATOR! Will ever have some interesting calculator features? I believe that nothing that can't be implemented trivially on a mobile phone will never be implemented at all - unit conversions, quadratic equation solver, perhaps a function plotter with a good zooming UI? Nope. Other hand, they will no doubt add a feature to "share" the result of your two integers addition on Twitter. How fantastic is that!

Or look at Canonical's mail app. No Sieve filter editing support, no advanced certificate-based authentication, of course no PGP support - they "want" to add the latter "in the future", we know what that means: immediately after they polish the higher priority tickets such as UI animations. Of course we should be happy if the email window can be resized without the app crashing, because that will never be considered critical - after all, you don't need resize windows on a mobile phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X