X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winie
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post

I use it because it is rock solid. The package management in Slackware is actually less prone to break your system because it doesn't try to solve dependencies. Which makes it better imho. What also makes Slackware number 1 for me is that in the Slackware philosophy the user isn't considered stupid.
    Can't you accomplish the same with a base,minimal or cloud version of a very stable distro and always use the package managers option for not including dependencies?

Leave a comment:

• darkcoder
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Is there any reason tu use Slackware nowadays? I mean, the package management in other distributions like Arch is way better.

Actually I prefer their approach. While they are very conservative. IMO having them around is better than having 200 Ubuntu derivatives that bring nothing new to the table, except 5min download time of a different desktop and settings.

Also if they haven't changed their policy, they only patch packages if is really really necessary. Thus giving the user at the end one of the most stables, clean systems you may find, and as close to upstream as possible.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Is there any reason tu use Slackware nowadays? I mean, the package management in other distributions like Arch is way better.
    Slackware doesn't use systemd, it's pretty much the only major distribution other than Gentoo not to use it. So it's pretty much your only choice if you want a distribution that's actually viable/guaranteed to still exist in 6 months, you don't want to recompile half your system every two weeks and don't want to use systemd.

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied
    It won't break your system, only you can break your system.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
    The package management in Slackware is actually less prone to break your system because it doesn't try to solve dependencies.
    it does not do package management then and of course it will do nothing but break your system

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    with pa but without systemd slackware in 2016 is 2004-era modern and relevant

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Slackware is a great choice when you know what you're doing and have a very specific purpose for it. If you're trying to build a regular server or desktop PC though, I wouldn't consider it an ideal option. Same goes for Gentoo.

Leave a comment:

• SilverMachine
    replied
    I use it because it is rock solid. The package management in Slackware is actually less prone to break your system because it doesn't try to solve dependencies. Which makes it better imho. What also makes Slackware number 1 for me is that in the Slackware philosophy the user isn't considered stupid.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    As far as tastes go I could say exactly the opposite. Is there any reason what so ever to use anything else? Slack still has minimal crap load compared to most distributions.
    With that said, I think most distros do a pretty good job and I have no problems using most of them, but I like Slack better.

Leave a comment:

• arokh
    replied
    Slackware was great back in 1995. I see absolutely no reason to choose it today when you have serious distributions like Arch or Debian and its spinoffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X