Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Will Indeed Be Delayed, Plus Other Changes Approved

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Will Indeed Be Delayed, Plus Other Changes Approved

Yesterday we wrote that it looked like Fedora 24 would be delayed and today FESCo has indeed decided to delay the release and all milestones by two weeks, but it might be dragged out to at least three weeks...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-24-Is-Delayed

FWIW, I think the key headline is that we're working on scheduling both F24 and F25 together. Previously, when one release went long, it meant slipping everything in the future out by that much, which then meant that releases came basically where they landed on the spinning calendar wheel. Now, we're planning to keep F25 at the October target, which means that F25 will have an approximately 4-month development cycle, during which we will avoid larger and more risky changes (while still allowing us to keep track with the GNOME cycle and ship 3.20 with F24 and 3.22 with F25). F24 should also land with a new infrastructure feature for building layered Docker images with a workflow to similar to what we have now for making packages, so contributors will be able to volunteer to maintain official Fedora container images just like they maintain packages now. But, in F24, we won't actually be using those images. The short cycle after, though, will allow people to start actually delivering those for use in Fedora Atomic and Fedora Server officially soon after.

Comment

Thanks Matt!

Comment

Ah, so wayland default maybe for F26

Comment

And BRTFS??

Comment

I don't think Fedora's issues is with slipping ship times. I think missing stability with short life cycles hurts Fedora. I would like to see Fedora to abandon the 6 month cycle for something a little more manageable. personally I really like OpenSUSE's model. Longer cycle but there is a rolling release edition if you need that.

Comment

Working...
            X