No announcement yet.

It's Possible To Run Fedora 23 With A Mainline Kernel On A Tegra K1 Chromebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Possible To Run Fedora 23 With A Mainline Kernel On A Tegra K1 Chromebook

Phoronix: It's Possible To Run Fedora 23 With A Mainline Kernel On A Tegra K1 Chromebook

While the Tegra X1 is the latest and greatest NVIDIA SoC out there currently, the Tegra K1 is still a beauty and still blows many other ARM boards out of the water. If you happen to have a Tegra K1 Chromebook, it's possible to get Fedora 23 Linux running on there with a bit of hacking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been looking for a cheap laptop with 1920x1080, 4+ gigabyte ram and most importantly long battery runtime. Unfortunately there are almost none. Chromebooks would be fine, even more because there at least is a supported linux kernel. I almost bought the CB5-311, even though I don't want to use nvidia gpus. AMD literally doesn't want to sell anything in this category. There are some intel alternatives, but they are mostly more expensive.

So I almost bought it, but then I saw this: https://www.tbi.univie.ac.at/~ronny/acer-cb5-311.html saying that the nvidia blob only supports linux 3.10 and that's where I noped out.
    So how does nouveau work on the K1? He says
    glxgears showing a frame rate of 230+
    But that doesn't sound so good (I know, it's not a benchmark, but still). How does the performance compare with the nvidia blob, can it reclock ootb? Is battery runtime with nouveau as good as with the nvidia blob?

Edit: What the hell, I just bought it as amazon warehouse deal. There's nothing that fits better what I want at this price point I could find.
    Last edited by haagch; 06 January 2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Welp, guess I'm mad upset. I bought a Chromebook C201 for Libreboot (got it for $128, too!), just to find out 2 days later that an NVIDIA Chrombook can run Fedora 23.

The trade-off would've been worth it. :'(

Comment

O.o i've been running the hp chromebook with tegra k1 with gentoo with mainline 4.1.2 for a while with just one little patch for screen ouput, but I switched back to chromebook kernel due to a memory management bug with dma, if you are OK with just one gb of ram you can disable full memory mapping in kernel features options and it will work flawlessly with linuxfortegra opengl propetary libraries. I can play warsow and doom 3 at 60fps, the only tricky phase in to partition the sdcard/USB flash using chromeos tools, otherwise it won't boot. Power consumption is a little higher than chromeos 4/5h vs 6h, also standby it's a pain and I didn't bother to set it up. Kde 5 crash randomly for some unknown reason so I'm using lxqt plus kde apps without any issue. Also if you have the touchscreen fhd version that works too with chromium and kde apps but most legacy x11 apps just crash/loop as soon as you touch them (kde4 too), maybe it's just misconfiguration though. Also prepare to patch a lot of packages since most idiots puts -m32 or -sse4 regardless of the architecture, (chromium too >.<")

Comment

Do not try to change too much the chromeos default kernel configuration, it will stop to compile just by unselecting debug features, also few nvidia related drivers are present in both chromeos version and mainline version, it's a mess you don't really want to go too deep in...

Comment

Originally posted by workless View Post
            O.o i've been running the hp chromebook with tegra k1 with gentoo with mainline 4.1.2 for a while with just one little patch for screen ouput, but I switched back to chromebook kernel due to a memory management bug with dma, if you are OK with just one gb of ram you can disable full memory mapping in kernel features options and it will work flawlessly with linuxfortegra opengl propetary libraries. I can play warsow and doom 3 at 60fps, the only tricky phase in to partition the sdcard/USB flash using chromeos tools, otherwise it won't boot. Power consumption is a little higher than chromeos 4/5h vs 6h, also standby it's a pain and I didn't bother to set it up. Kde 5 crash randomly for some unknown reason so I'm using lxqt plus kde apps without any issue. Also if you have the touchscreen fhd version that works too with chromium and kde apps but most legacy x11 apps just crash/loop as soon as you touch them (kde4 too), maybe it's just misconfiguration though. Also prepare to patch a lot of packages since most idiots puts -m32 or -sse4 regardless of the architecture, (chromium too >.<")
            That is why I'd like Fedora 23 on a Chromebook. To avoid ALL of that! ^^^

Comment

I actually happen to have this Chromebook; it's the one that was on sale for $164 last xmas with the 1366x768 screen (fine for a 13-inch):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MaceMon...ts/3UeqwnthwHY

I installed Crouton on it for a while with Ubuntu and KDE. KDE, arguably the "heaviest" desktop environment, worked as well as our desktops. The Tegra K1 has a 192-core GPU, which makes normal desktop operations, video, and light gaming fly.

Being able to run Fedora 23 with mainline kernel support makes this one of the most awesome Linux laptops on the market. 13-hour battery life!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
                Welp, guess I'm mad upset. I bought a Chromebook C201 for Libreboot (got it for $128, too!), just to find out 2 days later that an NVIDIA Chrombook can run Fedora 23.

The trade-off would've been worth it. :'(
                There's a Chromebook that can run libreboot? I didn't even know that ... I should get one of those and flash it on my next vacation. May be a replacement for my ThinkPad X200 once that breaks down.

Comment

Originally posted by workless View Post
                  O.o i've been running the hp chromebook with tegra k1 with gentoo with mainline 4.1.2 for a while with just one little patch for screen ouput, but I switched back to chromebook kernel due to a memory management bug with dma, if you are OK with just one gb of ram you can disable full memory mapping in kernel features options and it will work flawlessly with linuxfortegra opengl propetary libraries. I can play warsow and doom 3 at 60fps, the only tricky phase in to partition the sdcard/USB flash using chromeos tools, otherwise it won't boot. Power consumption is a little higher than chromeos 4/5h vs 6h, also standby it's a pain and I didn't bother to set it up. Kde 5 crash randomly for some unknown reason so I'm using lxqt plus kde apps without any issue. Also if you have the touchscreen fhd version that works too with chromium and kde apps but most legacy x11 apps just crash/loop as soon as you touch them (kde4 too), maybe it's just misconfiguration though. Also prepare to patch a lot of packages since most idiots puts -m32 or -sse4 regardless of the architecture, (chromium too >.<&quot
                  I'm using gentoo on my chromebook as well, but didn't get a mainline kernel going. At the moment, I'm using Mate as desktop, since the nvidia blop doesn't work with gnome shell. Thus, I'd love to switch to an all open stack. But the mainline kernel never gave me any console output. This raises my hopes

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    I've been looking for a cheap laptop with 1920x1080, 4+ gigabyte ram and most importantly long battery runtime.
                    Ditto

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    What the hell, I just bought it as amazon warehouse deal. There's nothing that fits better what I want at this price point I could find.
                    Cool! Will you come back and let us know how you get on?

Comment

Working...
                    X