Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Exciting Ubuntu News Of The Year

Phoronix: The Most Exciting Ubuntu News Of The Year

Ubuntu Linux made a lot of headway in 2015 particularly around their Unity 8 and Mir projects as part of their converged vision between mobile and desktop devices as well as in the Snappy space and the growing IoT market...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm completely sold that convergence is the future of computing and whoever gets there first is going to have a huge advantage. This is definitely the most exciting thing happening not just for Ubuntu but computing as a whole.

Comment

It's just a bunch of buzzwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
        I'm completely sold that convergence is the future of computing and whoever gets there first is going to have a huge advantage. This is definitely the most exciting thing happening not just for Ubuntu but computing as a whole.
        I think that convergence is a totally bogus concept because mobile devices and desktop computers serve entirely different purposes. MS has had convergence for a few years and it just sucks. Neither Apple nor Google, who reign supreme over the touch market, seem interested in it, which speaks volumes. Ubuntu's quest is misguided and so far, it failed to achieve anyrhing at all apart from alienating their once loyal users.

Comment

Waiting for day when they add click packages support so no need adding those ppa-s and instead clicking on so called setup. Biggest reason why linux usage is still slow is that there are no standard download and launch setup software like windooze has but lets hope click will change that. Setup must include all needed libraries so it is possible to get new software without trashing system.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I think that convergence is a totally bogus concept because mobile devices and desktop computers serve entirely different purposes. MS has had convergence for a few years and it just sucks. Neither Apple nor Google, who reign supreme over the touch market, seem interested in it, which speaks volumes. Ubuntu's quest is misguided and so far, it failed to achieve anyrhing at all apart from alienating their once loyal users.
            Since when has Microsoft had convergence for a few years? They had Windows phone, Windows RT and of course the standard desktop Windows version, but that isn't what convergence is at all. Microsoft do have Continuum in Windows 10 which is their convergence solution, but from what I can tell this seems to be more about bringing mobile apps to the desktop rather than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
              Since when has Microsoft had convergence for a few years? They had Windows phone, Windows RT and of course the standard desktop Windows version, but that isn't what convergence is at all. Microsoft do have Continuum in Windows 10 which is their convergence solution, but from what I can tell this seems to be more about bringing mobile apps to the desktop rather than the other way around.
              MS has had it more or less since Win 8. To my best knowledge, running mobile apps on the desktop is all that convergence has ever been about, nothing more or less. Admittedly Canonical wants to take an extra step by actually replacing the desktop with a mobile app, which is what Unity 8 is supposed to be. Yay! Not.

As for the other way around, I don't know of any plan to try to bring Blender or Audacity to a 5' mobile phone with a touch screen as its pointing device. But, much more importantly, I don't see what on Earth would the benefit of something like that be.

Comment

Working...
              X