Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Stakeholders Discuss Moving Away From Grubby

Phoronix: Fedora Stakeholders Discuss Moving Away From Grubby

It doesn't look like this proposal will end up panning out, but Fedora stakeholders are discussing the prospects of dropping Grubby in favor of just using grub2-mkconfig...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't it make most sense to go through with this but keep maintaining grubby in fedora's package repositories so that users who want to use other bootloaders with grubby can just install it on their own?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Wouldn't it make most sense to go through with this but keep maintaining grubby in fedora's package repositories so that users who want to use other bootloaders with grubby can just install it on their own?
      My thoughts *exactly*.

Comment

As somebody who knows nothing about either of these packages, his arguments sound... meh? "I like one more than the other, so we should all be using that" is what I'm getting from him.

Comment

Yes please. Grubby really confuses me. It's the tool that's supposed to be used for adding custom kernels into the bootloader menu, but it's also supposed to not be run manually. Just using grub-mkconfig is much nicer, at least from a non-Fedorian point of view.

Comment

mkconfig is better. I have to use it anyway whenever I need to change a GRUB option. grubby doesn't seem to be able to just rebuild in a simple way.

Comment

Working...
            X