Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Announces New Release Managers

Phoronix: Kubuntu Announces New Release Managers

Kubuntu is moving on in the absence of Jonathan Riddell who left the project and his longtime role as the release manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad to know that Kubuntu is moving on. Is my distro of choice, because the pure KDE experience and the access to the Canonical/Ubuntu resources.

Comment

He did not leave by himself. He was bullied out by Canonical...
      Seems like they've learned from the experience and now they have 2 Release Managers, 1 always as a back-up , because you never know what Canonical will do...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
        He did not leave by himself. He was bullied out by Canonical...
        And it seemed to have worked out as they have hoped for, none of the issues that actually started this whole thing are mentioned anywhere, nothing is solved.

Comment

How, pray tell, was he bullied?

AFAIK, he criticised some of Canonicals terms/policies. Canonical simply chose to not address his concerns, as is their right (even though it might've not been the most friendly way to deal with it).

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

AFAIK, he criticised some of Canonicals terms/policies. Canonical simply chose to not address his concerns, as is their right (even though it might've not been the most friendly way to deal with it).
            Well, after they ignored his concerns, he became indignant (at least in the eyes of some anonymous member of the Community Council), at which point they decided to 'ask' him to step aside for at least one year. If their ignorance wasn't bullying, their requirement that he leave for being upset by their ignorance certainly is.

It appears that, at some point, Jonathan was convinced there was nothing to gain from fighting the situation and certain details were not brought into public discussion as a result.

I am curious to know whether these two will have similar issues and if the Ubuntu Community Council will be more willing to make compromises this time around to avoid backlash. Although the Community Council seemed to believe Jonathan was especially unkind to certain members, most who knew him were shocked to hear anyone refer to him as angry, irrational, resentful, etc. It could well be that Jonathan never said enough to warrant the actions taken against him, in which case these two could be under the same kind of scrutiny.
            Last edited by scionicspectre; 12 November 2015, 04:07 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Well, KDE tried to wear Kubuntu off in the long going "tension" between Canonical and KDE.
              In the end it didnt work out like KDE hoped. Some team members left but the project will continue. So its not easy now for kubuntu, but beeing a ubuntu flavor does still offer some advantages. Not only flying KDE Devs all over the world and giving money to sponsor their meetings.

But KDE needs to rethink if they want to keep up their path. Other stable releases seem to have proper issues with packaging of KDE, too.

Comment

no one will remember the guy after kubuntu 16.04

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Yeah. On one hand, I am grateful for his contributions. But I don't agree with his belligerence against Canonical. Incidentally, after years of using Kubuntu, I moved most of my PCs to proper Ubuntu. I like it better these days: simpler but more stable. I also decided to cut the crap and stick to LTS releases, starting with 14.06. Some of my home PCs already run an LTS. The rest are all over the place. It seems to me that the non-LTS became pretty low quality over the last couple years.

Comment

mendieta so you are using Ubuntu LTS for last years and like it more. But you still hate Kubuntu while you are actually not using it.

Comment

Working...
                    X