Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Is Planned For Release In Mid-May

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Is Planned For Release In Mid-May

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee has today approved a release schedule for Fedora 24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Fedora 24 Is Planned For Release In Mid-May"
    Ok, I'll expect it in July then.

Comment

So this is the one that should bring wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        Yes, though it should be basically feature complete in F23 which is due out, I think, later this month
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Yes, though it should be basically feature complete in F23 which is due out, I think, later this month
          But not usable by default for many ppl, for example nouveau's vdpau implementation doesn't support decoding any codecs despite vdpau being available (it's useless as it is for my video card), and no video hw-acceleration means no default desktop cause I watch a few hours of video a day.

So no matter how "ready" wayland is I'll either have to wait for nouveau's vdpau to get fully implemented or wait for Nvidia's proprietary driver to support wayland, none of these is expected this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

But not usable by default for many ppl, for example nouveau's vdpau implementation doesn't support decoding any codecs despite vdpau being available (it's useless as it is for my video card), and no video hw-acceleration means no default desktop cause I watch a few hours of video a day.

So no matter how "ready" wayland is I'll either have to wait for nouveau's vdpau to get fully implemented or wait for Nvidia's proprietary driver to support wayland, none of these is expected this year.
            Or maybe use Intel or AMD chip...

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

The problem here is not nouveau, it's that libvdpau only has hooks for X. The window system hooks are nicely isolated in libvdpau, so it shouldn't be hard to add Wayland, but who knows when that'll happen.

This is one of the few advantages VAAPI has, it already works under Wayland. mpv implemented support for that just a few days ago. There are patches on the mesa mailing list to add VAAPI to nouveau, but there's still some issues, video isn't decoded properly and the dev hasn't yet figured out why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                The problem here is not nouveau, it's that libvdpau only has hooks for X. The window system hooks are nicely isolated in libvdpau, so it shouldn't be hard to add Wayland, but who knows when that'll happen.

This is one of the few advantages VAAPI has, it already works under Wayland. mpv implemented support for that just a few days ago. There are patches on the mesa mailing list to add VAAPI to nouveau, but there's still some issues, video isn't decoded properly and the dev hasn't yet figured out why not.
                Very informative, thanks.
                Although it might not be related to the windowing system (or the win system is not the only issue), iirc I issued vdpauinfo from both Wayland and X11 (on Fedora 23) and it printed out the same result (that no codec is supported) in both cases. I'm also thinking that not all cards under nouveau have vdpau enabled yet (mine is GTX 560 Ti).

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  i wouldnt bet on that , XWayland still needs plenty of work done to it for Wayland to become default?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i wouldnt bet on that , XWayland still needs plenty of work done to it for Wayland to become default?

Like?

Comment

Working...
                    X