It Looks Like The Converged Ubuntu Phone Device Is Delayed To Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like The Converged Ubuntu Phone Device Is Delayed To Next Year

Phoronix: It Looks Like The Converged Ubuntu Phone Device Is Delayed To Next Year

While Mark Shuttleworth talked up before that an Ubuntu Phone supporting their much talked about "converged" experience would be available in 2015, it appears now to be delayed until some time in 2016...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The more they delay, the more time Microsoft has to promote their own convergence. Not that they needed any head start.

Comment

They are 10 years late to the game, an extra year won't really make a difference.

Comment

This was expected for anyone who followed the development of Unity 8, the initial launch date set by the end of 2015 was unrealistic and probably for marketing purposes. Converged phone will probably be ready by next spring or so as Unity 8 in desktop mode made a lot of progress, but not enough to be shipped right now on the phone.

Comment

Not unexpected considering the Unity 8 interface for the Desktop is still in alpha at best. Not a surprise to anyone that follows Unity 8 development at least.

I bet a lot of regular users will be pissed though.

Personally, I think they should release the hardware, whether the convergence is ready or not. Put a GIANT warning that the Unity 8 desktop mode isn't ready and then sell only to 1000 or so developers, and no reporters. Get the hardware to the right people.
          Last edited by dh04000; 29 September 2015, 11:29 AM. Reason: had additional thought

Comment

Keep causing more delays Canonical. That's all you're good at. With all the delays you love, I bet Unity 8 will not be available until Ubuntu 17.10.

Comment

This is very unfortunate, being the only one offering convergence would have been a big feature.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                Keep causing more delays Canonical. That's all you're good at. With all the delays you love, I bet Unity 8 will not be available until Ubuntu 17.10.
                I'm not surprised this ambitious technology project is running years behind the original timeline.

I am surprised the original timeline was so foolishly optimistic. How could Mark Shuttleworth work in this industry for over a decade and not guess that his original timelines for Unity, Mir, Ubuntu Touch, etc... were impossible?

Comment

I wonder what would it be like if Ubuntu's Edge phone campaign succeeded. But most people say (and I agree) that it was destined to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
                    I wonder what would it be like if Ubuntu's Edge phone campaign succeeded. But most people say (and I agree) that it was destined to fail.
                    They would have had more than enough money for developers to work on it if it was funded. They've got more products than ever to support, and the same people to do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X