Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 15.09 Released, Provides Calamares Install Option

Phoronix: Manjaro 15.09 Released, Provides Calamares Install Option

Manjaro 15.09 was released this morning with its Xfce, KDE, and net installer spins. Manjaro 15.09 is their first major update since June and is codenamed Bellatrix for this Arch-based distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I can choose disk encryption at install time (via a simple checkbox, and not have to drop to manual install), then I'd consider giving it a shot. If I recall right, this is what prevented me from trying Manjaro in the past, but I could be mistaken.

Edit: Was mistaken; was thinking of Mageia
    Last edited by Guest; 28 September 2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm using this release right now and it runs great. Manjaro rocks!!!

Comment

It's year since I moved to Manjaro from Ubuntu and not regretting it.

Comment

Manjaro would be OK if it was based on Debian, Ubuntu or any other sane distro. Unfortunately it's based on Arch which means you have to use AUR for everything that isn't in the official Arch repos and AUR is a real pain.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            AUR is a real pain.
            Funny that I consider PPAs a real pain to deal with and I like simplicity of AUR. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by flecht View Post
              Funny that I consider PPAs a real pain to deal with and I like simplicity of AUR. To each his own.
              You can't really compare the AUR versus PPAs. PPA's should be compared with the unofficial repo list, wheras AUR is a list of packages that you can build, commonly from source.

I also like AUR, but I have to admit that PPAs are easier to use. PPAs are easier to use than Arch repositories, as there is a toolset that you can use that will enable them and make sure that the keys are installed and everything. AUR's advantages are really width/breadth, and the fact that it is a single repository which makes package version collisions less likely.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                You can't really compare the AUR versus PPAs.
                I know it's silly, but I just did that. I even think it's as silly, as complaining about Manjaro being Arch based.

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                PPA's should be compared with the unofficial repo list, wheras AUR is a list of packages that you can build, commonly from source.

I also like AUR, but I have to admit that PPAs are easier to use. PPAs are easier to use than Arch repositories, as there is a toolset that you can use that will enable them and make sure that the keys are installed and everything. AUR's advantages are really width/breadth, and the fact that it is a single repository which makes package version collisions less likely.
                Of course, I know PPAs have their own merits. However, I think AUR is really convenient ?– one repository to rule them all.

On the other hand, I might be simply prejudiced against Debian/*buntu.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  Manjaro would be OK if it was based on Debian, Ubuntu or any other sane distro. Unfortunately it's based on Arch which means you have to use AUR for everything that isn't in the official Arch repos and AUR is a real pain.
                  For those wrong introduced with AUR packaging in the frame of what Manjaro developers tell users as being guaranted by them, anything in AUR used for Manjaro is painful. Better would be to tell us what apps lacks in official Manjaro repos to prevent changing to not optimized AUR packages for Manjaro.

Comment

Originally posted by flecht View Post
                    Adding a PPA is one command and then you can install and update packages from it with apt-get. With AUR you have two options: a) do everything manually (if I wanted to, I'd use Windows) or b) use an unofficial, unsupported helper utility that won't work as root (because Arch doesn't allow it) and won't install the package you tell it to install (for some b......t reason like not recognizing the key the package is signed with). Hello? Guys, I'm not trying to hack Pentagon servers here, I just want to install a package on my own freaking computer. Hello?

Comment

Working...
                    X